Psychology
Course
PSYCH 101
Professor
Jennifer Tomaszczyk
Semester
Fall

Description
Lecture 1 Psychology - how people behave - observable phenomenon, as an example is a rat in a maze, watching it - mental processes, for instance, when you perceive an orange what the mental process, such as, the color, will I eat it, how I love it, just thinking about it, a feeing, such as I feel great - Ancient Greeks, Plato and Aristotle - Plato thought that the mind and body are different - Aristotle, thought that the mind and body are connected - Plato thought that we are born with everything = nature - Aristotle thought that our experiences give us knowledge, = nurture - John Locke believed that the mind is a blank sate, and experience is written on the tabula rasa - Rene Descartes believed that the mind = the soul, and that animal spirits that connect the mind to the body called the pineal gland, and the spirits flow from the brain to the muscles for movement - Franz Gall and Johann Spurzheim believed that the shape and te curvature of the persons skull reveals mental abilities and character traits, so you feel the skull and see the bumps and valleys, and tell what kind of person they are, however, they were the first to attempt at “localization of function” the different kinds of part of your brain do and mean different thing - Wilhelm Wundt was the first person to make the first psychological laboratory in 1879, in Leipzig Germany by doing reaction experiments - Edward Titchener used introspection to analyze conscious experience by breaking it all down into “elements” - Introspection is the self examination and reporting of your own life and your own mental processes, and our ask yourself what sensations you feel - Elements are the limited number of sensation that can combine to form complex conscious experience - Problems with structuralism, you need educated people who can verbalize what they are seeing, and the results are very variable, different fundamental things that you observe about the same experience, or if someone is color blind, its hard to extract a general principal about these experiences - William James was the one who came up with Functionalism, and examined evolutionary and function of behaviors and conscious experience - Structuralism is: Wh
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit