Tuesday March 5
Intelligence (Finish up)
Lewis Terman and the Dark Ages
- Stanford-Binet Test
- Translates Binet’s intelligence test from French to English “American”
- Most widely used intelligence test
- World War I, USA didn’t have an army, how do you rank all these new volunteers and quickly?
Who should be the leader?
- First self-reported questionnaire
- Europe- based leader on class, USA- “classless”
- Terman believes in eugenics, superior, inherited stock -> Caucasian, used to show superiority of
American race -> goes back Galton “nature”
- Non-Caucasians should be allowed to go to university, have children -> forced sterilization (eg.
- Questions were aimed at the middle white class of America
- Administer Intelligence test on Ellis Island as people get off boat
- Start to limit the number of people from Africa and Eastern Europe as they are “less intelligent”
- People without English are writing English test and then sent back on boat
- Remember: Binet wanted nurture to bring children back to appropriate age intelligence, allow
opportunities to find natural intelligence
- Now, Terman wants to nurture intelligent children and throw away retarded children
- People start to voice how the intelligence test is used to discriminate people in schools and
- Male bias within the test -> need to standardized test with equivalent examples relatable to