Psychology
Course
PSYCH 101
Professor
Stephanie Denison
Semester
Winter

Description
th PSYCH 101: March 26 Lecture: Industrial/Organizational Psychology Big Five Theory  Neuroticism  Extroversion  Openness to experience  Agreeableness  Conscientiousness  How Assess it? o NEO-PI o Rate themselves on 240 statements on a 5 point scale o Each traits involve a group of aspects and don’t really relate to one another o Example: strong agree/disagree:  Our ideas if right and wrong may not be right for everyone in the world  People should honor traditional values and not question them  Openness to experience trait Predictive Value of Traits  Relationship to actual behaviors o High on openness: liberal arts, change careers, musical o Agreeableness: lend friends money, less likely to have alcoholism, happy marriages o Neuroticism: higher test stress level, higher divorce rates, depression o Extraversion: leadership positions, less anxious, throw/attend parties o Conscientiousness: higher grades, less drinking and smoking, healthy diets Story of I/O’s Beginnings  Frank and Lillian Gilbreth: wrote book, cheaper by the dozen, very different from movie o Motion study to study work and workers in their environment o Ran their household like a corporation o Most concerned with human beings and human effort o Reduce effort and increase productivity  people more efficient in work o Film people doing work and found out most efficient way to do things History of I/O Psychology  Recall Psychology arrived as a discipline in late 1800  Apply psychological theories and concepts to an organization to increase productivity and relationships  Hugo Munsterberg: Psychology and Industrial Efficiency 1910, start of I/O  Test Movement: beginning in WW1 o Rapid response to assign soldiers to right roles  War creating lots of jobs, industrial base make people think of how to increase efficiency in the workplace  Very good job prospects: only discipline you can find good related work and high salary: human resources, consulting, government positions, public sector Scope of I/O  Industrial side: looking at how to best match and individual to a certain role o Personal psychology o Involving in training employing, job performance standards, measuring job performance, career counselling  Organizational Side: how organization effects individual o Management style, role expectations  Sub-Divisions o Personal selection: assessing potential employees, job analysis, hiring and recruiting  Develop screening tests  Identify qualified candidates and get them to apply for the right position o Training and Development: developing training guides for new employees o Performance evaluation/management: if employees are doing a good job, promotions and compensation decisions as well as feedback o Ergonomics: designing procedures and equipment, maximise performance and minimising energy and how this relates to efficiency o Organizational Development: increase productivity, product innovation o Work Life balance: reaction to the way workers in work force feel. Increase quality of life in work place Key Terms and Concepts  Job Analysis (fact of personnel selection): writing a detailed description of a position including a list of values skills and traits an employee needs to be successful o Incumbents: someone who’s already doing the job o Subject Matter experts: people who have the skills, a true exper
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit