Learning Objectives: Lecture ~ Sigmund Freud
The Structures and Layers of Personality
1. Describe the 3 structures of personality along with their origin and motivation.
2. Describe the “Mind Iceberg” metaphor and contrast the “layers” of consciousness.
Routes to the Unconsciousness
3. Identify the various methods Freud explored for therapeutically accessing the unconscious mind.
4. Explain projection and two famous projective methods.
Psychosexual Stages of Development
5. Identify the stages and, where appropriate, the erogenous zones, key developmental tasks, fixations,
personality types, and expressions of fixations.
Is Freud Dead?
6. Explain the attacks on Freudian theory originating from scientific, medical, economic, and legal
7. Explain why Freudian theory persists despite these attacks.
8. Describe Freud’s positive contributions to the life of children and those suffering psychological