Canada (493,607)
Psychology (2,034)
PSYCH 211 (210)

CHAPTER 6 Psych 211

5 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
Chris Burris

CHAPTER 6 : CONCEPTS, CATEGORIES, AND ESSENCES PERCEPTUAL CATEGORIES *WHAT YOU PERCEIVE THE WORLS IS NOT THE WORLD IT ACTUALLY IS, YOUR BRAIN CONSTRUCTS YOUR PERCEPTION  Acoustic Signal vs. What you hear - Acoustic signal (the sound your teacher is producing when he’s speaking) is different from what you actually hear - The ‘p’ in apple and the ‘p’ in potato Has different acoustic signals - “the illusion of the man saying baba or gaga” – mcguruc effect - The acoustic signal of the man is not identical to what you hear because you’re hearing two different things depending on whether your eyes is close or open CATEGORICAL PERCEPTION  PERCEPTUAL INFORMATION - e.g. it’s brown, has a tail, it’s a dog  Categorical Perception - When you perceive, you perceive things in categories  Process of Language Acquisition – speech perception - Voice onset time - you are vibrating these vocal cords when you are making the sound - Ba or Pa - This means that the differences in the sound of BA or PA is a big difference in your brain but not in the computer - Your brain is perceiving a huge change CONCEPTS AND CATEGORIES  Your thought is made up of a picture, or words, or neither  You can talk about what thoughts are made up for  The constituents / things that make up your thoughts is called concepts  Why Concepts not equal to words every time: - Animals and infants “there’s food in there, maybe I want foods –crow” o Show babies repeating cats, they’re bored/habituate. show them dogs, they responded/ not bored – they have a category for cats and dogs but they don’t have words o Sometimes you have thoughts to words you can’t say - Things we don’t have for - “Didn’t say what I mean” WHAT ARE CONCEPTS FOR?  Inductive inference o e.g.: you know that the sun will rise tomorrow but you haven’t proved it, it’ just because it happens every time o e.g.; I think that this lobster is going to be red because pretty much all lobsters are red o a simple version of inductive inference o it lets you identify dogs as dogs; it lets you think about particular dogs; view different dogs as being similar with one another, treat dogs different from cats o Deductive inference  you connect experiences  e.g.: an animal in a jungle (first animal) hisses, the second animal you see hisses, you’ll expect that the third animal will hiss as well  MORE INSTINCT BLINDNESS - We usually don’t know what things are  SOME KINDS OF CONCEPTS  Nominal kinds- categories that we kinda invent; e.g.: bachelor 9we invent such terminology)  Natural kinds – for things in people w/o nature – trees, dogs, etc.; these are natural categories  Artifact kinds- any human made thing; e.g.: chairs are artifacts, board as well  WHAT ARE CONCEPTS? o General assumption:  Concept = packet of knowledge  Concept of dogs= knowledge of dogs  Having this knowledge allow you to identify dogs, think about dogs.  DIFFERENT THEORIES OF CONCEPTS: o FISRT THEORY: Classic View of concepts or dictionary view of concepts  For you to have a concept, You have to have a definition  In classical concepts: “If the only way you can think about of chair is having a concept of chair, then whatever that has the accompanied definition will be a chair.”  Then the definition will decide if it is a chair or not.  Necessary and sufficient features (definitions) of that thing – you need that feature to be that thing  So no indeterminate cases – no “only sort of” that thing  Apply to all members (e.g.: all dogs)  These are believed by Piaget and Vygotsky  But they both claimed that this concept is not exactly true for children  Because they both viewed children as moving from reliance on perceptual features to more abstract ones  Characteristics-to-Defining Features Shift (just an empirical phenomena that supports Vygotski and Piaget)  Characteristic features vs. Defining features  Consider aunts and uncles  Defining features – whatever the definition of the thing is  Characteristics features – features that are very typical but are not defining (e.g.: an island that is alone and surrounded with ice- this has the defining features of island but not the characteristics features)  In the slide example – it has a characteristics features but lacks defining features, 4 y/o thinks that it’s a museum  4 year olds do not define on the defining features but instead relies in the characteristics features (which are perceptual or the things that they see)  General Findings: o Younger children rely on characteristics features and overlook defining features o Older children rely on defining features, and overlook characteristics features o No single age for this shift  Problem for Classical View  Can you give definition for verbs (i.e. painting)? o It’s very hard to actually define such terms  Wittgenstein * - there’s a lot of features that all games share and don’t share o SECOND THEORY: FAMILY RSEEMBLANCES AND PROTOTYPES  There are features common/ overlapping to each other with the same groups  Prototypes  If the members of a group have partially overlapping features  Some members will share many features with other members; some members will share few features  No features are necessary or sufficient (for being a dog, for example)  E.g.: the MOA bird doesn’t have wings (don’t share such feature to other birds) but is still considered as birds  Items that are in the center or has many features of a group is called prototypical  For more Prototypical item: o Rates as more typical o Faster to affirm category membership (judging whether robin/ ostrich is a bird) o Faster for prototypical ones, slower for less prototypical ones  TAXONOMIC HEIRARCHIES/ CATEGORY HEIRARCHIES o Think about the concept furniture  E.g.: The highest is Furniture, next are tables and chairs, under are the types of tables and chairs  Different levels: general levels (furniture), basic levels (table, chairs), subordinate level (types of tables and chairs)  We often use basic levels in language  Kids usually learn first: basic level (i.e. tree, dog, cat)  Why do we always use the basic level? Because at the basic level, you’re being maximally informative (e.g.: I’m walking down the street and I saw an animal – NOT INFORMATIVE; today, I see a bird – INFORMATIVE)  Two Relevant Findings (kno
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 211

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.