Psychology
Course
PSYCH 211
Professor
Mattieu Lecorre
Semester
Summer

Description
Lecture 12 - First 6 months, babies do not know their own names and will not recognize it What would you need to learn to understand video? - Words! o Meanings: what each word refers to o In Spanish, the meaning of “almohada” is pillow - Syntax, tone, context, arrangement of words of where it begins and ends, changes the meaning of that particular word - How do you know what the words are? o Segmentation: what does one word end and the next begin?  Few silences between words, and some within words!  So speech stream is often ambiguous o Phonology: what changes in sound count as new word?  In English, changing “I” to “r” makes a different word (lake vs. rake). Not in Japanese  In Zulu, adding a click can make a different word. Not in English.  In all languages: change from child voice to adult voice don’t make a difference o What combinations are allowed?  There must be a meaningful way of splitting the speech into parts of understandable content - Words are not enough o Syntax: how words combine to express relations between meanings  In English, order matters  Jennifer loves Brad. (But does Brad love Jennifer?)  In Chinese, use different order  Zhenni Brad xihuan (Jennifer loves Brad)  In Turkish, word from matters  Jennifer Brad’I sever = Jennifer’I Brad sever  In all languages, syntax specifies who is the lover and who is loved - Words + syntax are not enough o Pragmatics: the same sentence can mean different things  “Great outfit!” What kids know about their language by about age 3… - 3 year old - Knows quite a lot! - How do they learn it? Children learn from their parents! - “the English language, and other languages, are institutions like country dancing or the game of cricket: cultural creations that individuals may learn during their lifetimes, if they happen to be born into the appropriate cultures, but to which no one is innately predisposed”. – Geoffrey Sampson, “The Language Instinct Debate” - Language is learnt through object association with sounds (eg. Language) Children are designed to learn language! - “the fact that all normal children acquire essentially comparable grammars of great complexity wit
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 211

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit