Psychology (2,033)
PSYCH 232 (13)
Lecture 4

Lecture 4 psych 232

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
Chris Burris

Lecture 4 – Psych 232; January 23, 2012 NATURAL MANIFESTATIONS OF EVIL  The prototype still applies: - Social: people as cause of evil - Metaphysical: unseen entity as cause of evil – instead of saying people do evil, there are still metaphysical things or spirits that causes evil  Why an unseen Entity? - Emerging consciousness: we can reflect on our own metal processes - Self as separate, “inner entity”: - We can experience Causal agents: we can experience intentionality - Summarizing: “My body moves because I, this conscious agent intended to make my body move” And so , by extension… “What is the reason why things in my surroundings move? Because something unseen in it makes it move.” “If some unexplained event in my environment happens, it is caused by an inner unseen entity.” - Intentionality (1/3 of evil prototype) - *the beginning of religion (in terms of human psychological experience); they think that religion maybe an effect of overactive agency detector - Anthropomorphism – inanimate objects - There is a connection bet brain and anthromorphism  Why an evil unseen entity? - Eye-grabbing negativity: negative events are more likely to capture our attention than positive events do; the bigger the event, the bigger the negative impact, the greater the attention given - Then there’s harm… there’s a harmful outcome, then if we assume that those harmful effects were product of intentionality, then there are unseen entity that causes harm - Evil versus just or moody: in the story, God is not evil, not moody but God is Just because Uza committed evil. - There’s (un)justifiability… *When could it be satan? * Lupfer’s predisposing conditions: - under what conditions did people explain the outcome of an event with the involvement of devil? 1. Perceiver is conservatively religious 2. Perceiver disapproves of actor’s motives 3. Event is life-altering (bigger events in life) 4. Event is relevant to religious values 5. If the perceiver disapproves of event outcome  How rational are we.. really? Most things we believe to are not rational.  The 2x2 worldview Model Two dimensions: - Dualism (do you think reality has two distinct aspects to it?) versus Monism (says there’s only one aspect to reality) - Anemism (some events go beyond mechanism: spirit, etc.) versus Mechanism (the world is material, everything can be explained through matter and energy) Dualism: two BRAIN can produce mental activity; mental activity in return Western
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 232

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.