Psychology
Course
PSYCH 232
Professor
Chris Burris
Semester
Winter

Description
LECTURE 6 HATE: EVIL’S ENGINE What is hate? 1. MOTIVE  hate is a motive, not an emotion  hate involves goals; the goal of hate is to diminish or destroy the well-being of another  hate is the intent of harm A. Motive is Thermostatic  when a motive is activated, it will stay switched on until you get your goal and when you get your goal, it will turn off  If you don’t get the goal, it will stay switched on B. Instrumental or Ultimate Goal  Instrumental – it is the mean to an end (I want them to get hurt because I want justice to be served)  Ultimate Goal – the end itself C. Emotions as Antecedents  various emotions may trigger hate to harm HOW DO WE KNOW? 1. The Prototype study  rate what does hate means to you from 1 to 7.  Motive to harm gets 4.84; Strong emotion gets 4.02; weak emotion (i.e. irritation) gets 2. 56  Motive to harm > Strong emotion > weak emotion  Motive to harm captures hate more than strong emotion  Irritation or any other weak emotions are not merely considered hate 2. The thought quote study  How much to each of these quotes captures hate to you?  5.99 – “I want to hurt him. Period.” (HIGH)  2.50 – “I want to stop him from what he’s doing but I don’t want to hurt him (LOW) 3. The template study  Nihilism template – to end something  Redress template – “something has to be done to let them realize th
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 232

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit