Psychology (2,034)
PSYCH 232 (13)
Lecture 9

lecture 9 Psych 232

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
Chris Burris

Psych 232 – Lecture 9 IS EVIL NECESSARY? THREE APPROACHES: 1. THEOLOGICAL APPROACH – “the theodicy problem”  If God is all good, if God is all powerful, why is there evil?  The focus is on evil as objective events  [Premises] God is.. o Not-all powerful – God can’t stop these bad things o Not all good – Carl Jung’s Answer to Jobe (book); god has a dark side o A driving instructor – why evil exists is because god permits it to exist for free will, for choice to be meaningful – that is, people have the choice to either good or evil 2. PHILOSOPHICAL APPROACH – logical/ linguistic necessity  Subjective events; (i.e. evil is in the eye of the beholder  If it is possible to conceptualize or think of an ideal, you can call it the greatest good, then logically speaking, there will be a greatest bad  The label of evil works because it works as the flip side of the greatest good 3. PSYCHOLOGICAL APPROACH – evil is functional/ psychologically functional [meaning it meats psychological needs]  It is subjective  2 models: o “Out there” – evil isn’t in me, can’t be in me, evil is out there - Evil is not located within one’s self; external to the self; other entities might be evil but not us - Cognitive Functions:  Simplification function – if one will break down that the evil is not me and the other half is the other, it’s one simple view of the world  Differentiation function – having the concept that evil is out there defines a boundary; if you know who the evil are, and you’re not them, that could define yourself – We can know who we are by knowing who we’re not - Affective/ Motivational functions:  Self-esteem – Downward social comparison [I can feel better about myself by comparing others worse than me]; because it feels good to feel good  Self-justi
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 232

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.