Class Notes (810,165)
Canada (493,974)
Psychology (2,034)
PSYCH 232 (13)

5 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
Chris Burris

GENOCIDE March 26, 2012  Definition – Lemkin (1944) Destruction of a nation or an ethnic group o Acts committed to the intent to destroy o Acts committed in intent to destroy a whole group (i.e. a very broad base to destroy)  Hate is part (I.e. hate ia an intent to harm or detroy)  EXTERNAL OR INTERNAL o External (internationally, nation against a nation); o Internal (intra-nation) – e.g. Polpot revolution in Cambodia, Khaer Range – they wanted to establish political equality, then to eliminate inequalities - they need to eliminate education statuses, so they kill people who achieved 7 grade and people with eye glasses o Direct – direct destroy or killing o Indirect – i.e. preventing births, forcible abortion  Holodomor (in Russia?)– Eliminating class differences must have equality – Solomn started putting treasure to Ukrainian farms for them to have enough crop so the farmers don’t want it, they’re not that dumb. So the farmers killed their crops instead of being fooled by Solomn. Solomn got pissed off, he ordered to kill farmers who will be harvesting any kind of food to the farm. Many killed through starvation, few were being shot.  Controversy o Best known genocide, holocaust of Jewish people  Genocide vs. massacre o Instrumental/ political --- massacre often times happen during wartime o Controlled --- overkilled o Technical (logistical process i.e. the Nazis want a record keeping system) --- involved o Administrative ---- elaborated o Series of massacres are part of over-all process of Genocide  A model (adapted from Staub, 1989) o 2 stages by which genocide happens  Situation x Culture -> Motive  We want a solution for what is happening in our culture, we need a group to blame and kill to eliminate the problem o Motive + Opportunity -> Genocide  Situational factors – “Difficult life Conditions”  Economic issues – relative deprivation ( a certain group feel disadvantage against other group, they feel that they’re not getting what they’re supposed to get that other group get); e.g.: the immigrants are getting all our jobs  Violence – high levels of criminal violence, terrorism; if a violence in a country can be attributed to a certain group, that can be a factor  Social and Cultural change – people feel threatened; e.g.: 9/11 bombing o All of these deals with people being insecure and threatened most of the time  Cultural Factors  Nationalism – inflates stable sense of self in a national level; i.e. Our nation is good unlike other nations that suck  Authoritarianism – 1. Sense of rigidity or conventionalism, 2. Sense of limitedness on problem solving approach 3. Sense of willingness to submit to authorities you perceive to be legitimate – authoritarian submission 4. Aggression as a legitimate means of solving problems  History of the nations involved- if the group that is in power has grudge to perceive justice in the past, that’s a motive. i.e.: hazing and initiation in orgs.  Motive of Genocide  Perceived threat to (extended) self – you make people afraid and outraged o Bodily and spatial symbolic - FEAR and DISGUST  Perceived resistance to expansion – you perceive some group blocking your goal o ANGER  Either or Both -> HATE (you can make them want to harm others) o Zero-sum – there has to be one winner, everybody else loses; the well-being of their group depends on winning so you have to do what ever it takes o “all you have to do is make them feel unsecured and threatened”  Opportunity  Preparation and progression – e.g.: in film, they started out where in the school teachers separate hutus and tutsis (moderate hutus are target as well)  Bystanders – if they are passive, that’s the equivalent of going ahead of the genocide, if they intervene that’s the sign of stopping (i.e. in the film, the US is passive about the genocide) RESPONSES
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 232

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.