Psychology (2,034)
PSYCH 232 (13)
Lecture 12

Lecture 12 Psych 232

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
Chris Burris

THE ENGULFMENT MOTIVE  Conceptualization – Amoebic Self Theory o Single cell has 3 basic survival needs: eat, retreat, excrete o Excretion (psychological excretion, during break up, getting rid of the former life with your partner) o Eat =“engulfment” o 3 domains  Bodily domain – includes taking in stuff from all aspects of the environment; it’s measurement is sensation  Social domain – having an interpersonal impact on other people or wanting to dominate in other people; measurement is domination  Spatial- symbolic domain – acquiring identity markers (with symbolic meanings or repository of memories)  “What if the appetite doesn’t shut off? o Bodily  hedonism/ excess  “I don’t want a nice needle, I want 4 of them.”  Causes problems that result from excess  E.g.: drug addiction o Social  domination and control  Influence to its extreme – the desire to dominate in control of others  ”I want to influence you but I don’t want you to gain from me or without letting you influence me.” o Spatial symbolic  treating the world as mine  e.g.: you won’t respect other people’s private or public property  How far will people go to justify their “appetites”? o Scapegoating – “you know what? there’s a good reason for why I did what I did.”  One way of justification MEASUREMENT: STUDY : THE ENGULFING SELF-SCALE o Bodily  “Feeling somebody relax while I give them a massage will be a very satisfying experience.”  Sense of sensuality or taking self in from the senses  Sensory input o Social  “Encircle all the individuals that you’ll be interested in doing this to...” “making somebody nervous”; “competing”  The more people they circle, the more they feel it  Taking in or making one’s territory in the physical environment o Spatial-symbolic  “No matter how much I have, I always want more. I’m just that kind of person”  “I get irritated when I go into a classroom and someone’s on my seat.”  Taking in or making one’s territory in the physical environment; owning/ marking one’s territory STUDY 2: CORRELATIONS  Bodily (focus on one’s self) o sensation Seeking (lite) ; thrill seeking events  People who score high in bodily engulfment measure ( people who are thrill seeking) tend to be more sensation seeking (lite –no hurting of other people)  Social ( focus on one on one interpersonal relationship) o Machiavellianism ( a scenical manipulative attitude towards other people)  higher social engulfment correlates to higher manipulation; manipulation implies the one way street o Psychopathy (“I never cry to funerals”; wild and crazy lifestyle)  social engulfment is related to greater psychopathy o Social Dominance orientation (“some social groups are inherently more deserving than other social groups are”)  higher social engulfment orientation projected more social do
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 232

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.