Psychology (2,034)
PSYCH 232 (13)
Lecture 13

Lecture 13 Psych 232

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
Chris Burris

March 12, 2012 PSYCH 232 – POWER  Lord Acton: “Power corrupts and Absolute power corrupts..”  What is power? o The ability to influence other people o No power --- some power --- absolute power “invisible” --- ---- “irresistible”  Two understandings of Power: o Power as a value – some people value power; so they will seek out opportunities to exercise influence towards others; “sought power”  A twisted form of dependence because (how do you know you have power? Others react to you) the satisfaction of the valuer is through giving him response. (hear phone) less than 9min  Hobbe’s Leviathan – if equality exist, you’re eliminating power differences among people; those who value power should be very unsympathetic to equality; we’re most likely to use power when we want something  Research basis? Schwertz  Comes up with the list that is possible to different cultures to value  Ask people across cultures how much you value this or that?  Schwertz come up with 10 themes – if values are adjacent to each other, they tended to be motivationally compatible with each other; opposite themes seems to be motivationally incompatible with each other  Universalism (is measured by values like equality and respect for other people) which is in absolute motivational flip side of power in the diagram o Power as a role – “found power”; some positions or roles have more power associated than the others; the caregivers have the more ability to influence others (i.e., raising children)  Those who value power are probably more likely than those who don’t value power to seek out such roles  “I’m in charge so I’m going to treat you all like equals (or shit)”  The reverse E and not reversed E study  You were instructed to write letter E on your forehead  People were randomly assigned to think of one or two past experiences wherein they have the power to affect somebody else – high power condition  An experience wherein someone else have the power on them – low power condition  People in the high power condition were three times more likely to write the E backwards – people in the high power backwards were looking in their forehead, they say that “the E is in correct in my own eyes, it’s not reversed!”  People in the low power condition were much more likely to take the perspective of
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 232

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.