Psychology
Course
PSYCH 232
Professor
Chris Burris
Semester
Winter

Description
“Obvious Evil”: Serial Killers  Why Here? o Serial killers are mythological characters o They fit in to a good and evil narrative (that’s why they’re famous) o FBI definition: 3 or more kills with cooling off periods in between – 3 or more motivationally distinct episodes  Differentiates serial killers from mass murders (killed many people but happened in the same episode)  Versus spree killers (multiple victims, multiple locations and the more or less same motivational episode)  What would it take for you to kill? o Issue of justifiability  Will kill someone if there is enough justifications in place  What justifications are these? 1. Perceived threat – individual level (home intruder), collective level (gang or army); threat to physical, threat to ideology or belief 2. Absent/ limited/ exhausted alternatives – “desperate times call for desperate measures” “no other options or means of relief” (e.g.; people perceive no other options available for life so they will do suicide) 3. Killing humans, Killing non-humans, “killing” humans – must know what is something extra (that makes killing humans and killing non-humans to “killing humans”) to understand killing * What is extra? 4. Perceived injustice/ insult/ injury – “the only thing that will make me powerful again is to kill a human being” 5. Fun – for other people, killing is the ultimate power having gratification; the sense of expedience –“I want this” “I will do anything for this; “it is worth it to me to get what I want even if somebody else dies.” * The Big picture 1. (lack of) Attachment –the capacity to be emotionally bond with other people becomes emotionally restricted  Under-socialized o there’s no consistency regarding moral messages o i.e., a lot of serial killers lie o If you’re not attached to anyone else, the other people do not matter, then it will be easy for you to kill. o “I don’t mind & you don’t matter.”  Over-sexualized o Most serial killers are Exposed to sex mixed with violence o E.g.: sexual violence in the name of parenting  Ostracized o Most serial killers are hated or isolated which builds up to their anger o Many kids who were physically and sexually abused have the risk of being sexual killers  ” The terrible triad” (symptoms/ indicator of kids being serial killers) – doing these three triads has the high risk of emotional; disorder or being a serial killer  Bed-wetting o Impulse control  Fire-setting o Sensation seeking element  cruelty to animals o sadistic element 2. Fantasy – many people go to the fantasy world as compensation; fantasy is one way of getting yourself away from unpleasant experiences (i.e., neglect, isolation); the fantasy world becomes more satisfying  Compensation o For grandiosity purposes as well; in this fantasy world, I’m great (i.e., I’m the king, I have a power) though they were treated as shit in their real life  dissociation o detachment, separation o similar to possession o Some people have bad attachment so that they dissociate o Dissociation becomes functional through serial killers’ mundane life  Sexualization o Killing will be erotical for some serial killers ALL OF THE ABOVE CAN BE TRUE BUT STILL, YOU DON’T HAVE A SERIAL KILLER. THE NEXT PICTURE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT. 13.40 3. Willful Reduction of Inner restraints – “You know what? I’m gonna need to do this (Killing); I have to do this cause I need the big deal not just paintballing or fantasizing”; Big separation – decision part  Entitlement o ”I deserve it”; “I have experienced shit all my life, I deserve a payback” o Instead of asking “Why should I kill?” serial killers ask “Why shouldn’t I kill?”  Narcissistic wound o consistent reminders concerning my greatness  Overkill o responding illogically / in proportionately o “My boss yelled at me today, well better kill somebody” 4. Symbolic Expression  M.O. (things has to be done or main part of the crime) vs. “signatures” (things that didn’t have to do or accessories of the crime”)  It is culturally M.O to wear clothes, and what style you wear is the signature. Types of Serial Killers (adapted from Holmes, 1989) 1. Externally directed (“I have to”) Subtypes: a) Visionary – will meet criteria for psychological disorder; hearing voices such as: “God told me to”, etc.. b) Mission - “ I have to do it to *kill+ make the world a better place”; has articulated and very justifiable reasons on oneself 2. Internally directed (“I want to”) Subtypes: a) Hedonistic – pleasure; violence or killing yield pleasure  Lust/ thrill killer – usually to show up in rime movies; e.g.: persistent theme of sexual pleasure; the focus is on the pain, sexual abuse, and death (main source of pleasure); no case have been reported that a female did such crime alone  Comfort killers – Material comfort or finan
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 232

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit