Class Notes (809,021)
Canada (493,490)
Psychology (2,034)
PSYCH 253 (142)

4 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
Hilary B Bergsieker

Self-Perception Self-Understanding - Self-concept – who am I? o Collection of beliefs about who you are  Traits: friendly, shy, hard worker, perfectionist  Likes/dislikes: love animals, hate crowds, big hockey fan  Wishes/hopes: future psych PhD, hope to become smarter  Social identities and roles: Asian, twin sister, feminist  Evaluations: “I’m awesome,” “I’m great”  Emotional states: excited - The self… a Western Construction o Self-concept, self-esteem, self-knowledge, social self - Mutual Constitution: Culture & Psyche - - Self-concept and culture - - Independent view of self vs. interdependent view of self - Culture & Self-Concept Stability o Study Design – (perfect correlation = +1)  Asian and White participants  Ask to consider self across  Situations: gym, party, discussion section, cafeteria  Relationships: friends, parents, roommates, siblings  Rated self on 10 traits  Considerate, conscientious, expressive, open-minded, patient, bossy, irresponsible, lazy, moody, picky  Researchers found: white students, regardless of who/where, there was a high degree of overlap – correlation were close, whereas Asians were more independent (less correlation in relationships contexts, higher correlation in situational) Self-Knowledge – how can I explain and predict myself? - Introspection o Process whereby we look inward and examine our own thoughts, feeling, and motives o We assume we have direct access to our mental states while experience them, but we do not  Failure to recognize change in attitudes/emotions  Overlooking influences on own behaviour  Reporting influence of invalid factors o How often do we ponder ourselves? o Overlooking influences on behaviour  Hinting ideas o Reporting Invalid Influences  Task – participants watched a film about Jewish poverty and then rated it on interest, sympathy, etc.  Distraction – some participants had a noisy power saw in the adjacent room, others weren’t exposed to a distracting noise  Results – distractions did not decrease participants’ actual film ratings; when asked, 55% said the noise lowered their rating o Confabulating reasons for behaviour o Confabulation – subliminal persuasion o Limits of Introspection  People don’t rely on introspection as often as you would think  Reasons for out thoughts, feelings, and motives can be hidden from conscious awareness o Telling more than we know  Experiment finding factors that affected their mood o Consequences of Introspection  Is it wise to analyze the reasons for our feelings and judgments?  Participants in dating relationships asked to rate relationship  Reason condition: wrote down why their relationship was going the way it was  Control condition: wrote on another topic  Reporting “reasons” changed their attitudes about how they felt about the relationship  Whose feelings predicted the outcome of the relationship the best? – Control condition - Social comparison theory
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 253

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.