Brand new love – Serena Ryder
1. Dating: What makes others attractive?
• Proximity - how close you are to other people physically; person who you
run the most is attractive
- The people you run to a lot, tend to be similar with you
• Festinger, Schacter, & Back – more likely to be lovers to those
people whom you live close to
• why proximity matters? Things that we’re exposed to
regularly, we actually happen to like them – the mere
• Mere Exposure Phenomenon
• Physical Attractiveness -the Matching Phenomenon: if you look at people
who ends up being together, most were like similar in attractiveness to each
• Walster et al. (1966) - Computer Dance I
- in a freshman orientation, the students have a big dance.
The Rs matched the people in random but the Rs tell the Ps
match them together and found out how would the Ps like
-Who is the happiest? If you’re a 6 (moderately attractive) are
you happy with a 9 or another 6?
-Everybody had a good time; if the partner is very attractive –
they had the best time, if very unattractive – the least
happiness the Ps have.
* Hatfield et al. (1969) - The Computer Dance II