Psychology
Course
PSYCH 253
Professor
Steve Spencer
Semester
Fall

Description
RELATIONSHIP If a man loves a woman 1. FROM LIKING TO RELATIONSHIP • The Development of Relationships • Models of development - The intimacy weighted more (friendship) • Passionate Love - The Two-Factor Theory of Emotion Again – you have this intense feeling of arousal, you attribute it to other person (this passion dominates to the early phase of a relationship)  Companionate love – intimacy weighted more; enjoy spending time together (friendship) • Liking those who like us – there is a boost of attractiveness if other people like us too • We like people who make us feel good – the person who makes you laugh makes you feel happy makes you feel good; compliments make you feel good too. • We like those who we trust – as you learn to trust, the relationship would go forward • Attachment in Relationships TYPES OF ATTACHMENT • secure attachment pattern (when the mother leaves, the child will cry yet will be happy when the mother comes back); positive view of self and positive view of others • anxious ambivalent (when the mother leaves, the child will be clingy to the mother but when the mother comes back, it’s either the child will be angry or happy); negative view of themselves and positive view of others • avoidance pattern (the child will not seek out for the mother after); positive view of self and negative view of others • you need to feel positive about yourself as well as to others to develop trust  New Models of Attachment – MODEL OF THE SELF & MODEL OF THE OTHER PERSON 2. ATTACHMENT STYLES • I find it relatively easy to get close to others and am comfortable depending on them and having them depend on me. I don’t often worry about being abandoned or about someone getting close to me. (SECURE ATTACHMENT); security attached people loves security attached people; everybody is better with securely attached • I am somewhat uncomfortable being close to others: I find it difficult to trust them completely, difficult to allow myself to depend on them. I am nervous when anyone gets too close, and often, love partners want me to be more intimate than I feel comfortable being. (AVOIDANCE ATTACHMENT); avoidance to anxiously attached but not with avoidance; • I find that others are reluctant to get as close as I would like. I often worry that my partner doesn’t really love me or won’t stay with me. I want to merge completely with another person, and this desire sometimes scares people away. (ANXIOUS AMBIVILENT) do the best with securely attached; anxiously attached people are compatible with anxiously attached people too 3. WHAT MAKES RELATIONSHIP WORK?  If you believe that the other person loves you and that he’s going to treat you well, that’s trust.  Illusions in Relationships – Illusions in a relationship: when you think that other perso
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 253

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit