Psychology
Course
PSYCH 253
Professor
Hilary B Bergsieker
Semester
Fall

Description
PSYCH 253 THE METHOD: TOOLS FOR STUDYING SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGY SEPT 11/16 Stanford Prison Experiment (1971) - Recruited 24 male adults people, screened participants to ensure they were healthy/normal - Randomly assigned to be guard or prisoner - Put into very realistic stimulation of a prison - Staged “arrests” of prisoners, strip searched, wore chains, performed on command, names were numbers, abusive procedures by guards - Uprising by prisoners: 1 staged a revolt - The power of the Situation: Abuse  Guards drawn to position of power, allowed aggressive techniques  Those in authority are responsible for setting the tone of the situation Naïve Realism - Tendency to believe “I see things as they really are” (your perception/beliefs are correct) - Rational others with same info will agree with me - Those who disagree are uninformed, biased, irrational  Example: “reactive devaluation” tendency to judge proposal based on who said it, not the content. Peace proposals developed by Israelis were judged better than the same proposal done by a Palestinian Motivation: What Do We Want? - Belong (most important): seek intimate relationships, acceptance in group - Understand: to feel like we’re correct - Control: have influence over your own life - Enhance: need to feel good about oneself - Trust: cooperation Central Themes in Social Psychology: Situationism, Subjectivism, and Motivation Hindsight Biasoverconfident about whether we could’ve predicted an outcome after we know it occurred “I knew it all along” Confirmation Bias  focus on examples in which it is true when evaluating a hypothesis (wanting it to be true) Participants: Sampling (subset of population) - Convenience sample (who are readily available, generalizability issue) - Representative sample (resemble the population relevant to research, each person has equal chance of being included, difficult/expensive) - Non-random sampling  Self-selection (people
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 253

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit