Psychology
Course
PSYCH 315
Professor
Maureen Drysdale
Semester
Fall

Description
Psych 315 – lecture 4 – October 2, 2012 THE SELF, IDENTITY, EMOTION, AND PERSONALITY 1. Developmental task of adolescents – understanding who they are in the phase of physical, cognitive, social changes; if the tasks are dealt successfully, the adolescent would have a better sense of self 2. Defining identity or sense of self – finding your place in the world; serious emotional challenge; very difficult to go through this change maybe because your self competence have not been challenge; defining your social style and yourself and could be recognized and understood by others ** Answer the ff questions (contributes to the sense of identity): 1. Do you have a sense of your own attitudes and values; 2. Do you know about your feelings to people, things, and activities; 3. Can you describe how can you behave genuinely? *Elemnents on how you define yourself: - Thoughts - Feelings - Values - Attitudes - Behaviors CENTER: SELF Connecting aspects: 1. other’s perceptions (parents, peers, etc.) 2. Social values, expectations, notions of ideal 3. Self-examination (analysis of personal assets and liabilities) 4. Experiences of self in the world 5. Body image, health perception, sense of strength Real versus Ideal Self 1. Erikson – identity vs. role confusions (adolescent stage) * All the adolescents’ feelings and values are being challenged * If development through the previous stages is successful, an adolescent would have more trust than mistrust, autonomy than shame and doubt, tend to take more initiative than feel guilt, and would feel more industrious than inferiority. *Disparity occurs between real (who they believe themselves are) and ideal self (who they want to be), true and false – conflict *Where might disparity occur? What areas of self? What might cause disparity? What about SNSs and true identity? 2. Fischer (neo-Piagetian) * 3 stages in terms of conflict: A. Young adolescence – single abstractions – adolescents construct abstract self-descriptors (self- conscious, dorky, depress, happy) in terms of feelings, thoughts, and other contrast; they can’t compare abstract characteristics to one another – they’re not aware that there is a disparity between real self and ideal self (they would see both as a true self) B. Middle adolescents – abstract mappings – conflicts occur and middle adolescents recognize the conflict – they begin mapping contrasts one on top of each other (e.g. happy on top of dorky or sad – recognizes that “wow I could be these two things); they start recognizing and asking themselves when they should be dorky, or happy, etc.; I don’t know who am I? and I have to find out who am I. i.e. cheerful with friends, and grumpy with family C. Older adolescents – abstract systems – adolescents are able to integrate to resolve the contradictions and are able to achieve the ability to think abstractly; they tend to be both happy and sad and they’re able to understand it (e.g. I feel sad but I could get through it to not being sad, I could be happy cause I’m happy).; can recognize and compare conflicting attributes - which attributes is the true me? Hence you could understand more that you have these conflicting attributes Crucial psychosocial questions: Who am I?  Being able to answer it is a combination of all the challenge(from Erikson) and being able to think abstractly from Piaget and Fischer  Why do adolescents need an identity? o We are expected to find a role in the society; career objectives – goals in life o Being able to establish intimate relationships – what are you looking for a partner? So you must know who you are first (we don’t accept roles that are lazy and self-disruptive) Process of identity development  Erikson’s theory of ego development o Identity vs. role confusion – being committed to an ideology  What happens in search for role?  Two types of crises: o Identity deficit – inability to resolves crisis cause of their inability to make decisions o Identity conflict – inability to resolve crisis cause they’re making incompatible/ bad decisions Self-esteem and Self Concept  Self-esteem – degree of positive and negative judgment and feelings about yourself; more influenced by what other people think of you; the degree to which you values yourself and that value comes from how other people see you – a global judgment  Self-concept – a cognitive structure and tends to be very domain specific; a combination of ideas, feelings, thoughts, and Ideas in different situations; you can have a physical appearance self-concept – how you view your physical appearance,
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 315

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit