Psychology
Course
PSYCH 338
Professor
Doug Brown
Semester
Summer

Description
Lecture 9 - Organizational Communication and Culture 1. Model of interpersonal communication a. Sender (does not have the “thinking” before encoding i. Encoding (what is the info I want to deliver: style, tone of voice, verbal/non- verbal)  transmission (how info is delivered to other person, i.e. pick up phone, email, text, writing methods)  goes to receiver b. Receiver (have diff cues to understand msg, i.e. tone, posture, active listening) i. Receiving  decoding (what info actually means)  feedback (sender’s response) 2. Chain of Command: Downward communication a. Hierarchical, structured, not realistic b. Assumes org communication all flows through chain of command 3. Chain of command: upward communication a. From bottom up, not realistic either b. i.e. engineer comes up with new design and talks to other members about feasibility 4. chain of command: horizontal communication a. ie. someone in planning has problem with budget, needs to speak to accounting but goes through CEO b. informal communication go straight to accounting dept, most realistic way of communication 5. deficiencies in chain of command a. slow  cross-functional team is a solution b. filtering  the more levels of communication, the more likely there is filtering: impt piece of info getting lost/distorted, i.e. broken telephone  interference/misunderstanding/poor interpretation c. does not consider informal communication between members  external factors, i.e. interpersonal/social factors i. there is no flexibility in chain of command 6. modified a. talk to each other without going up and down 7. org grapevine a. spreads/distorts b. org’s informal communication network c. carries both legitimate org info and gossip (75% is accurate for work-related info, but unrelated to work info is more likely to be distorted in org) d. can be used strategically i. Anita from The Body Shop 1. Testing ideas she had through spreading rumours  decide whether or not to pursue strategy e. org blogs i. Microsoft Office 1. Employee wanted to improve MS’s office in the press  created MS Channel 9  interviewed product designers, posted on blog a. positive impact on MS and other companies in terms of allowing public access to org  increased trust inside and outside org 8. org communication matters a. non-verbal communication i. affects people’s perceptions of others, promotions ii. in the West, people who are more powerful will lean back  they are more comfortable and at ease iii. people leaning forward shows excitement/engagement, less powerful iv. 80% of message conveyed through non-verbal communication v. Other research: 1. Study: among student sample, students feel that a professor is more approachable if office is neat, than if it’s messy 2. Research of office profiling a. Police profiling: Snapshot of what someone looks like and see if they are suspicious  small glimpse and make judgment b. Office profiling: i. When people walk into office and see family photographs, employees/managers say particularly employee are not team-player, not as focused ii. If there is evidence of someone’s hobbies (i.e. hockey), people are more likely that employee is highly ambitious and outgoing but not serious at work iii. If people post awards/diplomas, people are more likely to say employee is successful and accomplished but are intimidating/show-off b. gender and communication i. women are more likely to: 1. ask questions a. interested in what other person says, get other engaged 2. apologize a. way of showing respect to other person’s viewpoint, but can be interpreted as sign of weakness if said alot 3. offer praise before criticism a. make person feel good first 4. compliment 5. be indirect a. not a command, i.e. what do you think, versus do it  work might not get done ii. men are more likely to: 1. take credit a. i.e. team mtgs at work, discussion, and women are less likely to speak up (relational concern: everyone gets chance to talk), have idea, conversation goes somewhere else without women following up, someone else attends to the idea and takes it  team decides to take idea from man and does not remember idea came from women originally (not necessarily conscious) 2. boast a. men’s conversational goals are to show status and establish independence 3. argue and debate a. fits with communicational goal of independence 4. talk to superiors
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 338

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit