Psychology
Course
PSYCH 338
Professor
Doug Brown
Semester
Summer

Description
Lecture 7b – Attitudes 1. What is an attitude: a. A fairly stable evaluative tendency to respond consistently to some specific object, situation, person, or category of people i. Stable – doesn’t change quickly/easily ii. Evaluative – how much you like/dislike something iii. Specific – relate to a target b. Hypothetical construct – cannot touch it, but exists in people’s heads – does not reduce the impact 2. Where do attitudes come from? a. 3 components i. Cognitive component 1. Thoughts, beliefs about the attitude object ii. Affective component 1. Feelings, emotions toward the attitude object iii. Behavioural component 1. How you behave toward the attitude object 3. Example: attitudes towards Americans a. Cognitive (belief): i. Americans are superficial, arrogant, lazy b. Affective (feeling): i. dislikes Americans c. Behavioural (action): i. Predisposition is not to hire American employees 4. Attitudes and Behaviours a. Think + feel + act  attitude  behaviour i. Care about attitudes because: 1. If we know this, we can predict their behaviours (in the future) a. Turnover, helping out at work b. Research suggests that the relationship is weak c. WHY? i. Attitude strength ii. Attitude ambivalence iii. Norms/behavioural control 5. Attitude Strength a. How strongly we hold an attitude – differ between and within people b. Stronger the attitude, more likely to predict behaviour 6. Attitude ambivalence a. Component of attitudes are not in sync with each other (between component ambivalence) i. i.e. want cake, but trying to lose weight ii. within component ambivalence – inconsistent beliefs about certain aspects 1. i.e. like Angelina Jolie because she is a positive role model, but after writing letters
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 338

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit