Psychology
Course
PSYCH 354
Professor
Denise Marigold
Semester
Summer

Description
LECTURE 6 – IMPACT OF SELF-ESTEEM ON RELATIONSHIPS - Low self-esteem individuals o unstable, unhappy relationships o less forgiving of their partners' transgressions than high self-esteem people and they tend to see their partners in a much more negative light Rejection Sensitivity: Downey and Feldman Low self-esteem - anticipate rejection from others, they expect that others will not like them - tend to perceive rejection where none may exist and they tend to overreact to it. High self-esteem - not sensitive to rejection - Assume that others like and accept them. Highly sensitive to rejection = low self-esteem individuals - expect that they will be rejected by their significant others read rejection into their partners' insensitive and ambiguous behaviors - Over-react to this perceived rejection by responding to in a hostile, jealous or unsupportive way. This may serve to push their partners away and to make their partners feel less satisfied with the relationship Not sensitive to rejection = high self-esteem individuals - do not perceive it in others' ambiguous behavior Downey and Feldman's (1996) Research STUDY #1 - People have got to know each other conversations with another participant (actually a confederate) - asked to complete a questionnaire assessing how well the conversation went. Participants and confederates complete their questionnaires separately - the experimenter returns to the actual participant and tells people in the control group is told that there is no more time for any further interactions (no rejection from confederate) - Those in the experimental group are that the other participant (that is, the confederate) does not want to continue with the experiment, so there will be no further interactions between participant and confederate. o highly sensitive to rejection reacted to this news with a great deal of negativity (e.g., anger and confusion) o Reported feeling a more rejected mood relative to people in the control group. They believed that the reason the confederate did not want to go on in the experiment was because the confederate did not like them. STUDY #2 - asked both members of romantic couples to complete questionnaires describing their relationships - people who were more sensitive to rejection (i.e., low self-esteem individuals) reported that they were more concerned about whether their partners accepted or rejected them than those who were low in rejection sensitivity (i.e., high self-esteem individuals). - highly rejection sensitive people were less satisfied in their relationships than people who weren't terribly rejection sensitive and so were their partners - Self-fulfilling prophecy: Rejection sensitive people behave in such a way as to push their partners away which leads both partners to feel less satisfied in their relationships - When they are concerned about whether their partners accept them or not, highly rejection sensitive men behave jealously, which seems to have implications for their partners' satisfaction - Highly rejection sensitive women behave with hostility towards their partners and they also tend to be unsupportive of their partners. o seemed to push their partners away which causes their partners to feel less happy with their relationships. Dependency Regulation Model (Version 1) Reflected appraisals  Regulation of Closeness  Relationship Perceptions Reflected Appraisals - Impressions of what other people think us (Does my partner love and value me?) - Yes  high reflected appraisals - No  low reflected appraisals Regulation of Closeness - when people have high reflected appraisals  allow themselves to be close to partner - low reflected appraisal  keep their distant to avoid harm. “If you don’t love me that much than I won’t love you that much either” Relationship perceptions - close  satisfied, confident about relationship, see partner is positive light - high reflected appraisals  emotiaonlly close with partner  satisfied, confident - low reflected appraisal  regulate how close they get with partner, avoid getting emotionally attached  les
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 354

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit