PSYCH232 Lecture Notes - Thrill Killing, Narcissistic Rage And Narcissistic Injury, Unhappy Triad

10 views4 pages
“Obvious Evil”: Serial Killers
Why Here?
o Serial killers are mythological characters
o They fit in to a good and evil narrative (that’s why they’re famous)
o FBI definition: 3 or more kills with cooling off periods in between 3 or more motivationally distinct
episodes
Differentiates serial killers from mass murders (killed many people but happened in the same
episode)
Versus spree killers (multiple victims, multiple locations and the more or less same motivational
episode)
What would it take for you to kill?
o Issue of justifiability
Will kill someone if there is enough justifications in place
What justifications are these?
1. Perceived threat individual level (home intruder), collective level (gang or army); threat to physical,
threat to ideology or belief
2. Absent/ limited/ exhausted alternatives “desperate times call for desperate measures” “no other
options or means of relief” (e.g.; people perceive no other options available for life so they will do suicide)
3. Killing humans, Killing non-humans, “killing” humans – must know what is something extra (that makes
killing humans and killing non-humans to “killing humans”) to understand killing
* What is extra?
4. Perceived injustice/ insult/ injury “the only thing that will make me powerful again is to kill a human
being”
5. Fun for other people, killing is the ultimate power having gratification; the sense of expedience –“I want
this” “I will do anything for this; “it is worth it to me to get what I want even if somebody else dies.”
* The Big picture
1. (lack of) Attachment the capacity to be emotionally bond with other people becomes emotionally restricted
Under-socialized
o there’s no consistency regarding moral messages
o i.e., a lot of serial killers lie
o If you’re not attached to anyone else, the other people do not matter, then it will be easy for you to kill.
o “I don’t mind & you don’t matter.”
Over-sexualized
o Most serial killers are Exposed to sex mixed with violence
o E.g.: sexual violence in the name of parenting
Ostracized
o Most serial killers are hated or isolated which builds up to their anger
o Many kids who were physically and sexually abused have the risk of being sexual killers
The terrible triad” (symptoms/ indicator of kids being serial killers) doing these three triads has the high risk of
emotional; disorder or being a serial killer
Bed-wetting
o Impulse control
Fire-setting
o Sensation seeking element
cruelty to animals
o sadistic element
2. Fantasy many people go to the fantasy world as compensation; fantasy is one way of getting yourself away from
unpleasant experiences (i.e., neglect, isolation); the fantasy world becomes more satisfying
Compensation
o For grandiosity purposes as well; in this fantasy world, I’m great (i.e., I’m the king, I have a power) though
they were treated as shit in their real life
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

They fit in to a good and evil narrative (that"s why they"re famous) Fbi definition: 3 or more kills with cooling off periods in between 3 or more motivationally distinct episodes. Differentiates serial killers from mass murders (killed many people but happened in the same episode) Versus spree killers (multiple victims, multiple locations and the more or less same motivational episode) Will kill someone if there is enough justifications in place. * the big picture: (lack of) attachment the capacity to be emotionally bond with other people becomes emotionally restricted. Under-socialized there"s no consistency regarding moral messages i. e. , a lot of serial killers lie. If you"re not attached to anyone else, the other people do not matter, then it will be easy for you to kill. Over-sexualized: most serial killers are exposed to sex mixed with violence. : sexual violence in the name of parenting.

Get access

Grade+
$10 USD/m
Billed $120 USD annually
Homework Help
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
40 Verified Answers
Study Guides
Booster Classes
Class+
$8 USD/m