PSYCH257 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Anna O., Phineas Gage, Time Point

83 views4 pages

Document Summary

Challenge of research in abnormal psychology: how to get i(cid:374)side people"s (cid:373)i(cid:374)ds i(cid:374)dire(cid:272)tly. Abnormal psychology is grounded in the scientific method: understanding the nature of abnormality and human suffering, understanding the causes of psychological disorders, understanding the causes of psychological disorders, understanding how to prevent and treat psychological disorders. Research starts with a question: ex. Hypothesis: (cid:862)edu(cid:272)ated guess(cid:863) (cid:271)ased o(cid:374) literature a(cid:374)d theory, formulated to be testable. Research design: a method to test hypotheses. Independent variable = that which causes or influences the outcome of interest (behaviour, mood, etc. : dependent variable = the measured outcome that is influenced by the independent variable, variables must be operationalized. Institutional review boards: uw office of research ethics (ore) Correlation: observes statistical relationship between two or more variables. 32549: correlation is bidirectional and does not imply causation, positive correlation ranges form 0 to +1. 0, negative correlation ranges from -1. 0 to 0, ex. relationship between marital problems and misbehaving children, visual examples:

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers