Class Notes (904,688)
CA (538,298)
UW (19,368)
PSYCH (2,104)
PSYCH257 (142)
Lecture

Psych 257 Chap 1 Psych 257 Psychopathology Barlow et Al: Abnormal Psychology 2nd CDN edition Chapter 1

4 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYCH257
Professor
Uzma Rehman

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
What is a Psychological Disorder?
-Psychological Disorder: Dysfunction within an individual;
-associated with distress /impaired functioning and atypical/culturally unexpected response
Psychological Dysfunction
-dysfunction: breakdown in cognitive, emotional or behavioural functioning (eg. Fainting at sight of
blood)
-some people experience mild breakdown w/o being dysfunctional,
-hence, dysfunction is on a continuum (line) not as on/off categories
Personal Distress
-part of criteria: to be sad; but not the only criteria
-hence, dysfunction is usually extreme expressions of normal emotion
Atypical or Not Culturally Expected
-abnormal behaviour: acting differently from the norm, violating social norms
-but: this criteria has exceptions; eg. Eccentric people, celebrities, different cultures
-hence abnormal: if out of person’s control
-Szasz: Mental illness diagnosed by psychologists has fundamental difference
-uses subjective judgements (by the patient); doesn’t focus on objective (eg. Blood tests)
The Science of Psychopathology
-Psychopathology: the scientific study of psychological disorders
-usu. clinical/counseling psychologists w/ Ph.D. or PsyD;
-“psychologists” are regulated by psych boards; “psychotherapists” are not
-psychiatrists: need MD + 3-4 year residency; usual focus on biological treatments (not just drugs)
-psychiatric social workers/nurses: gain masters; deal with people with disorders
The Scientist-Practitioner
-adopted scientific methods to learn more about the nature of psychological disorders, causes, treating
-scientist-practioner: take a scientific approach to clinical work
-via staying up to date on new developments, evaluating own assessments, and own research
Clinical Description
-presenting problem: problem(s) that a patient first shows signs of.
-clinical description: combination of behaviours, thoughts, and feelings that make up a specific disorder
-prevalence: how disorder is different from normal behaviour
-incidence: stats on how many new cases occur at a certain time
-course: somewhat individual pattern that most disorders follow
-prognosis: anticipated course of disorder (long-term or time limited) and onset (time before symptoms)
Causation, Treatment, and Outcomes
-etiology: study of origins (of disorder); helps understand nature of disorder-> treatment
The Past: Historical Conceptions of Abnormal Behaviour
-3 models of thought for abnormal behaviour. Supernatural (old idea), biological, and psychological
The Supernatural Tradition
-idea: deviant behaviour perceived as evil, work of the devil etc.
Demons and Witches
-eg. 14th century; Treatments such as exorcism; 17th century; Salem Witch trials
Stress and Melancholy
-Insanity=natural phenomenon, caused via (curable) mental/emotional stress; rest,sleep, type treatment
Charles VI: The Mad King
-heavy mental stress due to running the kingdom; went mad; treatment via rest, relaxation

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
What is a Psychological Disorder Psychological Disorder Dysfunction within an individualassociated with distress impaired functioning and atypicalculturally unexpected response Psychological Dysfunction dysfunction breakdown in cognitive emotional or behavioural functioning eg Fainting at sight of bloodsome people experience mild breakdown wo being dysfunctional hence dysfunction is on a continuum line not as onoff categories Personal Distress part of criteria to be sad but not the only criteria hence dysfunction is usually extreme expressions of normal emotion Atypical or Not Culturally Expected abnormal behaviour acting differently from the norm violating social normsbut this criteria has exceptions eg Eccentric people celebrities different cultureshence abnormal if out of persons control Szasz Mental illness diagnosed by psychologists has fundamental differenceuses subjective judgements by the patient doesnt focus on objective eg Blood tests The Science of Psychopathology Psychopathology the scientific study of psychological disorders usu clinicalcounseling psychologists w PhD or PsyD psychologists are regulated by psych boards psychotherapists are not psychiatrists need MD34 year residency usual focus on biological treatments not just drugs psychiatric social workersnurses gain masters deal with people with disordersThe ScientistPractitioner adopted scientific methods to learn more about the nature of psychological disorders causes treating scientistpractioner take a scientific approach to clinical workvia staying up to date on new developments evaluating own assessments and own research Clinical Description presenting problem problems thata patient first shows signs of clinical description combination of behaviours thoughts and feelings that make up a specific disorderprevalence how disorder is different from normal behaviourincidence stats on how many new cases occur at a certain timecourse somewhat individual pattern that most disorders follow prognosis anticipated course of disorder longterm or time limited and onset time before symptoms Causation Treatment and Outcomes etiology study of origins of disorder helps understand nature of disorder treatment The Past Historical Conceptions of Abnormal Behaviour 3 models of thought for abnormal behaviour Supernatural old idea biological and psychological The Supernatural Tradition idea deviant behaviour perceived as evil work of the devil etc Demons and Witches ththeg 14 century Treatments such as exorcism 17 century Salem Witch trials Stress and Melancholy Insanitynatural phenomenon caused via curable mentalemotional stress restsleep type treatment Charles VI The Mad King heavy mental stress due to running the kingdom went mad treatment via rest relaxation
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit