Tourism: A Snap-
Guest Presentation: Tom
• Marketing Toronto
• Volunteer Tourism
What is tourism?
World Tourism Organization:
“The activities of persons traveling to and staying in places outside their usual environment
for not more than one consecutive year for leisure, business and other purposes.”
Motivators: Meetings, conferences, conventions, trade shows, incentive travel
Pleasure: Vacation, Shopping, festivals, etc. **Visiting Friends of Relatives(VFR)**
Tourism is Everywhere:
•Is a restaurant or a museum tourism?
•Christmas shopping in Toronto?
•Routine business trips?
•Overlap can lead to both under and over estimates of importance
Stakeholders • Tourists
• Same Day Visitors
Also Grouped By:
Activities, accommodation, vacation type, distance, origin, age etc
• HR, sales & marketing, event planners, service, guides etc…
9.2% of workforce (1.6 million)
• More than construction, finance and education
• More Females
• Less educated
• But more students
• Less unionized (might suffer from lower wages)
• More part time and seasonal (less stable, less vacation...)
• But labour shortages are coming
• Large and Small
• Global Corporations to mom and pop shops (99% are SME’s)
SME: Small to Medium Size enterprises
• For example TUI, has 3500 travel agencies 120, aircraft, 12 hotels brands, 10
• Various Industries
Transport accommodation, food and beverage, entertainment, marketing, con-
• May Benefit from infrastructure and improved economy
• May Suffer from reduced resources and inconvenience
• For example: Running with the Bulls, Many people are upset that tourists
come to run with the bulls, as it is part of their heritage, and they are clum-
• Top ten international destinations
1.1. Why? Surrounded by other populated rich countries. 2. U.S.
2.1. Such an iconic place with many destinations
3.1. Economy is very good, and the regions around it have done very well.
6. United Kingdom
Boundaries and peripheries are getting bigger and bigger
Trend: International Tourism is growing and growing and growing. People are spend-
ing more money, there will be more environmental and social impacts.
Fordist Post Fordist
Modern Post Modern
Packaged Unpackaged/ Flexible
S’s (Sun, Sea, Sand, SEx) T’s (Traveling, Trekking)