Lecture 14 – Communication & Conflict
The process by which messages of meaning are shared by sender and receivers. Communication
includes any form of human expression, written, verbal, or body language.
Why do people engage in interpersonal communication?
Interpersonal communication significantly impacts organizational communication.
Informal Network in Organizations
- Lateral communication
- Multidirectional communication
- Informal social networks (groups outside of formal structure)
Formal Structure in Organizations
- Span of Control
- Authority & decision-making
- Division of labour
Culture of Organizations
- Shared meetings
- Predominant beliefs and values
- Goals and activities
- Vocabulary, stories, and metaphors
- Norms of behaviour
- Customs, rites, and rituals
Public Relations Public relations are the strategic management of relationships between an organizations and its diverse
public, though the use of communication, to achieve mutual understanding, realize organizational goals
and serve the public interest.
- Applying the Public relations function to the business of sport