= Fusion of Hinduism and Islam
=Founder, Nanak, born in the Punjab
=most Sikhs live in India
=approximately 25 million Sikhs today.
=Islamic presence in the Punjab since 712, but became dominate in the 11 century.th
-Muslim rulers generally intolerant, destroyed temples and sacred images
-This changed with the Mughal dynasty founded by Babar
-The Mughal’s were initially tolerant of religious diversity, engaged in debate and dialogue.
British, 19 , X tolerance culture.
Kabir and Sant Tradition:
= Nanak 1469-1539 infulenced by the ideas of Kbir 1440-1518
-Kabir rejected the Quran and Vedas and believed that loving devotion to God and repetition of
God’s name were most important
=The Sant “saint” tradition was influenced by both Hindu and Muslim-Sufi ideas
-both emphasized the oneness of God and the nedd for loving……………….
Born in 1469 in the Punjab:
- Aheardman and later civil servant
- At 30, god was revealed to him as the true name
- Began to spread the message of the one god
- Nanak believed that the religious distinctions held by his contemporaries were irrelevant:
- “there is no Hindu or Muslim ”
Embarked on a 20 year mission in India:
- Joined by his faithful friend Mardana
- Visited religious sites important for Hindus and Muslims and sharing news about the true
- Nanak wore hindu and muslim clothing
- Nanak composed numerous hymn from which came the core of the sikh holy book the adi
- Returned with Sikhs (disciples) and settled in kartarpur
Sikhism adopted a Punjabi cultural character:
- Nank adopted new forms o