SMF101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Industrial Revolution, Michel Foucault, Jeremy Bentham

166 views2 pages

Document Summary

Smf 101 lecture #1: modern state, modern family, and normalization of power. Michel foucault to punish better asylums, etc) Normalization of power (in institutions directed towards specific groups of the population i. e. military, clinics, How society conforms and regulates an idealized norm of conduct. System of rewards and punishment whether or not you follow these norms. Institutions start out of benevolent" concern; learn from each other, effects and control (i. e prison reform prisoner number tracking them and their information); institutions echo each other and have a lot of power. Bio-power numerous and diverse techniques for achieving the subjugation of bodies and control of population (i. e. dress code, the media, modify behaviour around kids) Key strategies for the normalization of power: to compare (constantly being compared by others, to differentiate, put into a hierarchy. Foucault"s discipline and punishment notes (discussion + reading) The public (torture and public execution, damiens the regicide) vs private punishment.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers