SOC101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Cesare Lombroso, Cesare Beccaria, Vehicle Insurance

50 views7 pages

Document Summary

Sutherland and cressy (1960): very (cid:271)road ra(cid:374)ge of (cid:449)hat is (cid:272)o(cid:374)sidered (cid:862)(cid:272)ri(cid:373)i(cid:374)al(cid:863, criminology is the body of knowledge regarding crime as a social phenomenon. Classical criminology: theoretical examination of crime begins in the 1700s, cesare beccaria: Italian scholar: people want to achieve pleasure and avoid pain, crime is a matter of pleasure vs. pain. Prisons as pain introduced to control crime: does potential gain outweigh the pain, risk vs. reward calculation happening in head of criminal. Friday, november 3, 2017: the more severe, certain, and swift the punishment, the better able it is to control criminal behaviour, by e(cid:374)suri(cid:374)g these thi(cid:374)gs, that"s the (cid:271)est (cid:449)ay to (cid:272)o(cid:374)trol (cid:272)ri(cid:373)i(cid:374)ality (according to. Positivist criminology: positivism (i. e. scientific methods) began spreading from the mid 18th century onward, cesare lombroso (italian physician) became one of the most influential researchers in this area. Lombroso argued individuals were born criminal: heredity creates crime genes determining whether or not you are a criminal.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers