SOC 280 (11)
Lecture 2

Lecture 2 – Terms & Concepts.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
SOC 280
Owen Gallupe

Lecture 2 – Terms & Concepts Friday, September 13, 2013 5:47 PM 1. Independent and dependent variables 1. DV – Dependent Variable - an “outcome” 2. IV – Independent Variable - a “predictor”  Sometimes there is no correlation. When there is no IV/DV, you are looking for a relationship between the two.  IV affects the DV  i.e.  age affects income  income affects the size of house  Levels of measurement a. Categorical i. Binary ( e.g., yes/no)  Can only be one of two options. ii. Nominal (e.g., race: black, white, Latino, Aboriginal, Asian, other)  No order. Essentially they are names.  i,e, 0 = Asian, 1 = Black, 2 = White, etc. These numbers do not mean one is better or has an ordering. These are just a representation for a name for analysis purposes. iii. Ordinal (e.g., 1=strongly disagree to 5=strongly agree; low, medium, high)  Some sort of order. Low – high or vice versa. No set distinction between the two. Similar to a survey where there is a ranking system. b. Continuous *On the midterm* i. Interval – p.10 (also on Field p. 10) – “equal intervals on the variable represent equal differences in the property being measured (e.g. the difference between 6 and 8 is equivalent to the difference between 13 and 15).”  The distinction between the two is not always clear. However, it does not always matter. As long as it is continuous, it is okay.  There is no real 0 point.  For example:  Temperature system. In Fahrenheit, 0 does not mean an absence of temperature.  Time. No absence of time of day. No certain time of day is twice of another. ii. Ratio – you can create a meaningful ratio. E.g., 6 is twice as much as 3.  There is a meaningful 0 point. Means an absence of something.  For example:  0 income means an absence.  Running speed. When you're standing still, there is a speed of 0. c. Measurement error  Possible issue
More Less

Related notes for SOC 280

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.