Sociology
Course
SOC 280
Professor
Owen Gallupe
Semester
Winter

Description
1 Lecture 9 –Assumptions - summary page ¿therelationship -Test statistic = amountof error - (this is not an actual equation. It is the general idea) - larger amount of error, smaller it gets - ie if we look at the difference of the means (8.4 - 8.3) and the amount of error is 2 it will be 0.1/2 = 0.05 will be the test statistic.. - Test statistics get converted into p values which tells you the likelihood of finding a relationship by chance alone. -p values less than 0.05 are considered to be statistically significant since it means that an effect that size is likely to be found strictly by chance 5% of the time. - P value – probability of finding an effect that does NOT exist • Also known as significance value Males Females P value Delinquency (mean) 7.6 4.4 0.031 6.2 5.8 0.08 Males have a higher delinquency level than females, the difference according to the p value is statistically significant. Only going to find a difference that large if it doesn’t actually exist 0.031% of the time. Want to be below 0.05%. Second one is not significant because it is greater than 0.05. 8% chance it’ll be no affect. Consider males and females to have same levels of delinquency. It’s either significant or statistical non-significance. Don’t say insignificant. -Type I and Type II error • Type 1: more liberal with the p values that you accept as being significant. o Ie p value of 0.1 being significant. Means we’re more likely to find an effect. o False positive • Type 2: false negative. When you only accept smaller p values. Two types of tests: -‘parametric tests’- based on the normal distribution. • Many tests assume that your (generally) dependent variable is normally distributed. If it’s not, then you run non-parametric test. - ‘non-parametric test’– does not assume normality. -Assumptions of parametric tests 2 a. Normality b. Homogeneity of variance (homoscedasticity) c. Continuous data d. Independence of cases i. The scores for people in your sample should not be systematically related to the scores of other people in your sample.  Has to do with sampling. • Clustering is not okay, if data is not collected through random sasmpling, assumption of independence is likely violated. e. Lack of multicollinearity – multivariate only i. can’t include two or more variables that basically measure the same thing ii. DV = house size. IVs = income & amount invested. Hypothesis: people with higher income and larger amounts invested have a larger house size. But the people who have high income are likely to have high amount invested. They aren’t really measuring anything different so you get rid of one. 1) Normality a. This can refer to different things i. Sometimes it means that the variable you are interested in has to be normally distributed – e.g., t-tests ii. Sometimes it means that the error terms are normally distributed – e.g., regression
More Less

Related notes for SOC 280

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit