SOC 280 (11)
Lecture 10

Lecture 10 – Comparing 2 means - summary page2.docx

5 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
SOC 280
Owen Gallupe

1 Lecture 10 – Comparing Two Means – Summary Page - t-tests – tell you whether the average score on a particular variable is significantly different across groups. - If there’s a difference between means, tell if it is significant. - Parametric test (vs nonparametric) 3 types: a. One sample t-test i. Testing whether the mean in one group is significantly different from a number in a different group. ii. Is there any actual difference between a certain point and the other mean being presented. b. Dependent samples t-test/Paired samples t-test i. Cases are related – e.g., Before/after test ii. Single sample, before and after test. iii. Ie measuring before and after weight loss and gain starting herbal magic. iv. c. Independent samples t-test 1) Independent samples t-test a. Tests for differences in the mean for 2 unrelated (“independent”) groups. b. Ie difference between men and women, rural and urban, poor and rich c. Assumptions i. Normality 1. P-P, Q-Q, skew, kurtosis, histogram, MOCT ii. Homogeneity of variance 1. Levine’s test. iii. Independence of cases (except for the dependent/paired samples t-test 1. Different from independence of variables 2. Each case is different in the sample iv. Interval level data d. Equation – general form t= ́1−́x2 variance 1 variance2
More Less

Related notes for SOC 280

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.