SOC 280 (11)
Lecture 11

Lecture 11 – Comparing several means - summary page.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
SOC 280
Owen Gallupe

1 Lecture 11 – Comparing Several Means – Summary Page - ANOVA – tell you whether the average score on a particular variable is significantly different across three or more groups. -t-tests: for comparing means of two groups -ANOVA: for comparing means of 3+ groups  ie do 3 gen immigrants get better jobs than 1 or second gens?  Ie do cancer patients who take a new medication get better results than with other drugs, no drugs, or alternative therapy. -Asking if theres differences between groups. -Why cant I run multiple T tests? • Have a risk of 5% being wrong with our test, so if we do another t test with another p value then we have an additional 5% chance of being wrong. Every time you do a new T-test you’re increasing your likelihood for error. a. Assumptions i. Normality 1. To check for it, look at the histogram for our DV and look at skewness/kurtosis ii. Homogeneity of variance 1. Refers to wanting the variance to be equal for all groups. 2. Want the variances to be similar 3. Do a levine’s test and we want it to be non-significant (<0.05) because that tells us we have a homogeneity of variance 4. Don’t want to see one leptokurtic kurtosis and one platykurtic. iii.Independence of cases (except for the dependent/paired samples t- test 1. Refers to that we don’t want any cluster sampling iv. Interval level data 2 1. Want a DV that’s either interval or ratio 2. Unlike t-test,ANOVAuses an f-test. F-score is linked to a certain p value which will tell you the likelihood of getting your results strictly by chance.
More Less

Related notes for SOC 280

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.