WS205 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Consumerism, City Marketing, Lewis Mumford

26 views2 pages

Document Summary

In ways that are very gendered: roadways, subdivisions, malls (cid:858)(cid:271)read(cid:449)i(cid:374)(cid:374)er ideal(cid:859, prior to i(cid:374)dustrializatio(cid:374) there (cid:449)as the (cid:858)fa(cid:373)ily u(cid:374)it(cid:859) or (cid:858)e(cid:272)o(cid:374)o(cid:373)i(cid:272) u(cid:374)it(cid:859, man should support the family, wife/mother/children to stay in the private sphere. Separate spheres ideology: separate spheres for women and men, women should be pure and angelic. Did not reflect the reality because it was not possible to live up to some. Post wwii of these expectations: after women filled in for men, there was an expectation for the women to leave their jobs when the men came back. A lot of women wanted to get married and get back to the way things were. Also a lot of women who wanted to stay in the work force. Some at least until they got married and had kids: suburbanization isolates families. Why autos and public transit became necessary. People who can afford to move to suburbs, they did. Commuting was initially viewed as a masculine activity.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers