ANTH 100 (150)
Lecture 4

ANTH 100A – Lecture 4 (September 16, 2013) Dr. Charles Menzies.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of British Columbia
ANTH 100
Charles Menzies

ANTH 100A – Lecture 4 (September 16, 2013) Dr. Charles Menzies • What does your prof want? ◦ how to find the right road to travel on ▪ read assigned materials ▪ compare what is discussed in class with readings ▪ highlighting particular aspects/part of reading ▪ go back to readings. what does author want? ▪ frame the readings and lecture notes into questions ▪ will do in Friday's tutorial - how to form good questions • Agenda ◦ ethnocentrism and morality ◦ culture and society ◦ case studies •Culture and Society ◦ Culture: sets of learned behaviours and ideas; things human acquire as members of society; depends on where you live; not genetically wired into us. ideology, values, behaviours that arise from particular organization ◦ Society: collective organization of a group of people; shared history and culture; subgroups. some anthropologists use them interchangeably, but Menzies doesn't. complex societies contain multiple distinctive cultural groups within it ◦ models remove complexity to reveal underlying aspect, used to expand culture and look at individual pieces; but model cannot catch everything, or become more confusing than the society that it was supposed to be explaining •Ethnocentrism and Relativism ◦ Ethnocentrism - belief that only 'my' way of knowing the world is right and everything else is wrong. ◦ ethnographic fallacy - "I'm always right, you're always wrong"; anthropology recognizes that and tries to confront it with relativism - "don't judge, anything goes" ◦ relativistic fallacy - that it is impossible to make moral decisions. we do evaluate right from wrong ◦ Obje
More Less

Related notes for ANTH 100

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.