Biology
Course
BIOL 121
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Fall

Description
Biol 121 225 Freeman 276-281, 286-289 Feb 8, 10 Ch. 13, Linkage Wild type -individuals with the most common phenotype Mutation/mutant -change in a gene (mutant = individuals with mutated traits) Reciprocal cross -set of matings where mother’s phenotype in first cross is father’s phenotype in second cross; and father’s phenotype in first cross is mother’s phenotype in second cross Sex chromosomes -sex chromosomes refer to the X and Y chromosomes in organisms -X and Y chromosomes are different in size and shape – the Y chromosome is smaller -they also contain different genes -however, they have regions that are similar enough to lead to proper pairing during prophase I of meiosis I -male: XY, female: XX X-linkage or X-linked inheritance -the gene for a trait is located on the X chromosome and the Y chromosome does not carry an allele for the gene -Y-linkage is the opposite -though X and Y chromosomes synapse during prophase I, they differ in size, shape and gene content Autosomal inheritance -genes on non-sex chromosomes show autosomal inheritance Linkage -the physical association of genes that are found on the same chromosome -if two or more genes are linked, it means they are located on the same chromosome -linked genes violate the principle of independent assortment -two alleles for two different genes located on one chromosome will be inherited together -an exception to this is due to recombination because of crossing over in prophase I of meiosis Physical distance between genes (b/t -greater physical distance between genes increases the chance that crossing loci) over will take place between them -then, it is possible to figure out where genes are in relation to each other based on the frequency of recombinants between various pairs Genetic map -a diagram that shows the relative positions of
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 121

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit