Winter 2016

Department
Central, Eastern and Northern European Studies
Course Code
CENS 202
Professor
Markus
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
CENS 202, 003
2017-03-07
Lecture 25: Bernhard Schlink 3
Schlink: The Reader (1995): The Trial
Hanna:
As if frozen (100); No sense of context, of the rule of the game (110); helpless (128).
Idigat: Doest gie up to the ourt that she is illiterate
Wears SS looking uniform and appears exactly as she was
Michael:
Describes feeling nothing about Hanna turns to numbness
Goes to the judge, goes to his father- nothing comes from it, in fact, he decides he no
longer needs to help
I stood outside myself and watched; I felt no involvement; Like being a prisoner (101)
The Students:
Bring an outside view: show up to every court date, stares at Hanna
The intrusion of horror into the daily life (102)
The Judge:
Questions are challenging and he loses his authority in these
First shoked, the oral; Numbness (102)
The Lawyers
Hannas lawyer: public defendant, not as experienced as some of the other lawyers
o Overeagerly (109); other lawyers use her concessions to incriminate (104)
The other lawyers: try to single out Hanna for an easy was out
The Defendants
Turn on Hanna, want her to take most of the blame easier sentences
The Witnesses
Not precise ( due to location of crime: either inside church or afraid of charges; 113)
The Public
Itiidated y Haas appearae: Look!; emotional reactions during verdict (161)
Auschwitz Trial -Reality
The Reader- Fiction
359 Witnesses
State Attorney traveled to Warsaw
and to Auschwitz
22 male defendant
Dealt only with Auschwitz
2 Witnesses
Travelled to Israel, Michael to
concentration camp
5 female defendants
Auschwitz and Cracow
Class Ideas- Aushwitz
Class Ideas- The Reader
No Order is absolute need to factor
in morality
Crimes almost seem less terrible
relatable, like this could be a friend
or family member on trial
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
CENS 202, 003 2017-03-07 Lecture 25: Bernhard Schlink 3 Schlink: The Reader (1995): The Trial Hanna: • As if frozen (100); No sense of context, of the rule of the game (110); helpless (128). • Indignant: Doesn’t give up to the court that she is illiterate • Wears SS looking uniform and appears exactly as she was Michael: • Describes feeling nothing about Hanna – turns to numbness • Goes to the judge, goes to his father- nothing comes from it, in fact, he decides he no longer needs to help • I stood outside myself and watched; I felt no involvement; Like being a prisoner (101) The Students: • Bring an outside view: show up to every court date, stares at Hanna • The intrusion of horror into the daily life (102) The Judge: • Questions are challenging and he loses his authority in these • First shocked, then “normal”; Numbness (102) The Lawyers • Hannas lawyer: public defendant, not as experienced as some of the other lawyers o Overeagerly (109); other lawyers use her concessions to incriminate (104) • The other lawyers: try to single out Hanna for an easy was out The Defendants • Turn on Hanna, want her to take most of the blame – easier sentences The Witnesses • Not precise ( due to location of crime: either inside church or afraid of charges; 113) The Public • Intimidated by Hanna’s appearance: “Look!”; emotional reactions during verdict (161) Auschwitz Trial -Reality The Reader- Fiction • 359 Witnesses • 2 Witnesses • State Attorney traveled to Warsaw • Travelled to Israel, Michael to and to Auschwitz concentration camp • 22 male defendant • 5 female defendants • Dealt only with Auschwitz • Auschwitz and Cracow Class Ideas- Aushwitz Class Ideas- The Reader • No Order is absolute – need to factor • Crimes almost seem less terrible – in morality relatable, like this could be a friend or family member on trial 1 • Look at themselves as the victims • An absolute constructed case – an illiterate would never be accepted into the SS Hermine Braunsteiner: • Described as “Kobyla” or “mare” • Collaborative murder in 1,181 cases and being an accessory to murder in 705 cases • Received two consecutive life sentences in 1981 Hanna: • Not described as brutal Guilt/Shame – Collective Guilt 1. What is the second generation’s (Michael’s/ 60s) stand against the war generation? (92) a. Exploring the past b. We all condemned our parents to shame
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit