CHBE 345 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Countercurrent Exchange, Tridiagonal Matrix, Tridiagonal Matrix Algorithm

167 views13 pages

Document Summary

Multistage equilibrium operations: crossflow cascade with straight equilibrium line. Consider a steady-state cross-flow cascade having n equilibrium stages and using the same flow of extracting solvent at each stage. 0x is the raffinate concentration in equilibrium with the initial extracting solvent concentration. Substituting both equilibrium expressions into the material balance equation yields: or. S me s r s is known as the stripping factor . S slope of equilibriu linem slope of operating line. Ra s me s is called the absorption factor . Multiplying eq. (i) by eq. (ii) now gives: Similarly, a material balance around stage 3 eventually yields: S (iii) and multiplying eqs. (i), (ii), and (iii) together produces: In general, for n stages, it can be similarly proven that: or. Alternatively, if the desired outlet concentration, xn, is known, the above equation can be used to determine the number of stages required to achieve the separation, i. e. , ln.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers