Course
Professor
viridiangiraffe58 and 38135 others unlocked
CHEM 123 Full Course Notes
CHEM 123 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
48 documents

Document Summary

Levels of vitamin c are effected by different processing and packaging methods in foods. Vita(cid:373)i(cid:374) c is esse(cid:374)tial i(cid:374) (cid:373)ai(cid:374)tai(cid:374)i(cid:374)g o(cid:374)e"s health a(cid:374)d avoidi(cid:374)g diseases li(cid:374)ked to (cid:373)al(cid:374)utritio(cid:374) such as scurvy. One way of getting enough vitamin c is through o(cid:374)e"s diet which makes maintaining high levels of vitamin c in food products during storage and packaging procedures important. In various experiments where vegetables such as spinach relish (duodu-1999) and potatoes were heated, vitamin c levels dropped. The general trend seemed to show that the higher the temperature the food was exposed to, the higher the percentage loss in vitamin c e. g. boiling potatoes resulted in a. Instead of using different types of juices, we only used apple juice: after heating, flasks of apple juice were placed in ice baths to quicken process of cooling. How amount of vitamin c varies with heating time. Amount of vitamin c (mg) after heating i e m.