• Thermodynamics=explains why reactions occur, and energy reaction generates
• V=potential Energy
• Internal energy=U (molecular E)
• Heat: q=mcT---is energy TRANSFER
• Work: w=pV----is energy TRANSFER
o Energy is conserved, always!
• Types of systems:
o Open: Exchange of E, matter
o Closed: Exchange of E only
o Isolated: none.
• State function: describes a property of a system: e g. PVT
o TEMP: avg motion of molecules
o Volume: size of container
o Pressure=force exerted on or by system
• Equation of state: equations that relate state functions. Eg. Ideal gas law
• Laws of thermodynamics