Chapter 3 - Values, Attitudes, and Diversity in the Workplace.docx

3 Pages

Department
Commerce
Course Code
COMM 292
Professor
All

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Chp 3: Values, Attitudes, and Diversity in the Workplace
Values
Values
Basic convictions that a specific mode of conduct or end-state of existence is personally or socially
preferable to an opposite of converse mode of conduct or end-state of existence
Rokeach's Value Survey
Hodgson's General Moral Principles
Two sets of values:
1. Terminal Values
Goals that individuals would like to
achieve during their lifetime
2. Instrumental Values
Preferable ways of behaving
Ethics
The study of moral values that guide our
behaviour between right and wrong
Identified 7 general moral principles:
o Dignity of human life, Autonomy, Honesty,
Loyalty, Fairness, Humaneness, The
common good
Assessing Culture
1. Power Distance
The extent to which a society accepts that power in institutions and organizations is distributed
unequally
o High power distance = inequalities in wealth/power and is widely accepted
2. Individualism vs. Collectivism
The degree to which people prefer to act as individuals rather than as members of groups
3. Masculinity vs. Femininity
The extent to which the culture favours traditional masculine work roles of achievement, power,
and control or sees little differentiation between male and female roles
4. Uncertainty Avoidance
The extent to which a society feels threatened by uncertain and ambiguous situations and tries to
avoid them
5. Long-term vs. Short-term Orientation
Emphasis on the future, thrift and persistence vs. The past and present and respect for tradition
Canada: low power distance, high individualism, high masculinity, low uncertainty avoidance,
short-term orientation
Criticisms: Based on only IBM, some results are unexpected due to the judgement calls he had to
make

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chp 3 Values Attitudes and Diversity in the WorkplaceValuesValuesBasic convictions that a specific mode of conduct or endstate of existence is personally or socially preferable to an opposite of converse mode of conduct or endstate of existenceRokeachs Value Survey Hodgsons General Moral Principles Two sets of values Ethics1Terminal Values The study of moral values that guide our Goals that individuals would like to behaviour between right and wrongachieve during their lifetime2Instrumental Values Identified 7 general moral principles oPreferable ways of behaving Dignity of human life Autonomy Honesty Loyalty Fairness Humaneness The common goodAssessing Culture 1Power Distance The extent to which a society accepts that power in institutions and organizations is distributed unequally o High power distanceineq
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit