Commerce
Course
COMM 291
Professor
Jonathan Berkowitz
Semester
Winter

Description
Question 1 a) i) -0.722 implies a relatively strong negative correlation, which means that as GDP increases, 72.2% of the time, infant mortality decreases. Therefore, this is an unreasonable correlation from which to conclude that there is almost no association between GDP and Infant Mortality Rate. ii) A correlation of .44 between GDP and Continent is reasonable as GDP would be more closely associated with countries rather than continents. iii) The correlation of 1.22 between Life Expectancy and GDP is unreasonable because correlation coefficients must be between -1 and +1. iv) This is a reasonable correlation. b) This is an appropriate summary because as E-commerce increases through the years, the number of sales made on the Internet should increase with it, which implies a correlation of close to 1 (a strong positive correlation). c) i) 12 Group 1 10 8 6 Y 4 2 0 0 1 2 X3 4 5 6 X and Y are negatively correlated, as shown by the negative direction of the least squares line. ii) Group 2 20 15 Y 10 5 0 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 X Again, X and Y are negatively correlated, as shows by the negative direction of the least squares line. The correlation coefficient is very close to -1, which indicates a very strong negative correlation and the line fits the data points almost perfectly. iii) Group 1 & 2 20 15 Y 10 5 0 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 X iv) Creating a single scatterplot containing all of the observations makes it clear that this is an example of Simpson’s Paradox. When the data is grouped separately as shown in the above individual scatterplots, both groups have a very strong negative correlation, however, when grouped together, the correlation coefficient is positive and signifying a weaker relationship between the data. a) i) The relationship between Total Mortgages and Interest Rate is a relatively strong negative correlation, which means that as Interest Rate increases, 84% of the time, Total Mortgages decreases. ii) The correlation coefficient would remain unchanged. iii) The correlation coeffic
More Less

Related notes for COMM 291

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit