Winter 2015
Department
Economics
Course Code
ECON 101
Professor
Marina Adshade
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
ECON 101 - Lecture #6 - Markets and Demand
Markets
A group of buyers and sellers of a good or service
Involves interaction of buyers and sellers
Typically establishes a price for the good or service
Buyers determine demand
Sellers determine supply
Types of Markets
A competition market
Independent buyers and independent sellers
No monopoly (no single buyer or seller is powerful to influence the price
The goods being offered are identical
Firms are free to enter and leave the market
If the four qualities listed above are satisfied, the market is perfectly competitive
Uncompetitive markets
○ Monopoly
○ Oligarchy
The competitive market might not be the fitting model for every market; but that is what
we are going to use for the sake of simplicity
Question 1
Why did bacon and lime become very expensive last year?
● Answer
Disease on piglets caused supply to decrease
Mexico’s heavy rainfall caused the the underproduction of limes
This question gives a little insight into the relationship between supply and price
Demand and Supply Model
The basic supply and demand model shows how buyers and sellers interact to
determine price and quantity sold
This model works best for competitive market
For competitive markets (refer to the four requirements above), price adjusts
quickly and reflect the buyers’ and sellers’ wishes
Demand
Quantity demand is the amount of good consumers would like to purchase during a
specific period of time
Quantity demanded might be different from quantity actually bought or quantity
exchanged
Factors that influence demand
Good’s price
Price of related goods
Consumers’ income
Consumers’ preferences and tastes
Expectations about the future
The number of consumers in the market
As price increases, demand decreases (As per Figure 1)

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
ECON 101 - Lecture #6 - Markets and Demand Markets ● A group of buyers and sellers of a good or service ● Involves interaction of buyers and sellers ● Typically establishes a price for the good or service ● Buyers determine demand ● Sellers determine supply Types of Markets ● A competition market ○ Independent buyers and independent sellers ○ No monopoly (no single buyer or seller is powerful to influence the price ○ The goods being offered are identical ○ Firms are free to enter and leave the market ● If the four qualities listed above are satisfied, the market is perfectly competitive ● Uncompetitive markets ○ Monopoly ○ Oligarchy ● The competitive market might not be the fitting model for every market; but that is what we are going to use for the sake of simplicity Question 1 ● Why did bacon and lime become very expensive last year? ● Answer ○ Disease on piglets caused supply to decrease ○ Mexico’s heavy rainfall caused the the underproduction of limes ● This question gives a little insight into the relationship between supply and price Demand and Supply Model ● The basic supply and demand model shows how buyers and sellers interact to determine price and quantity sold ○ This model works best for competitive market ○ For competitive markets (refer to the four requirements above), price adjusts quickly and reflect the buyers’ and sellers’ wishes Demand ● Quantity demand is the amount of good consumers would like to purchase during a specific period of time ● Quantity demanded might be different from quantity actually bought or quantity exchanged ● Factors that influence demand ○ Good’s price ○ Price of related goods ○ Consumers’ income ○ Consumers’ preferences and tastes ○ Expectations about the future ○ The number of consumers in the market ● As price increases, demand decreases (As per Figure 1) ○ Price on the y-axis, demand on the x-axis ○ Demand could also be called demand curve ● A demand schedule shows the numerical tabulation of quantity demanded at different prices (basically a table for plotting the graph) Figure 1. Comparison of demand schedule and demand curve. ● The actual demand graph is not linear, but linear graphs are easier to work with ○ They also offer approximations of prices and quantities that are close enough Law of Demand ● D
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit