Winter 2015
Department
Economics
Course Code
ECON 101
Professor
Marina Adshade
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
ECON 101 - Lecture #7 - Demand and Supply
How do Different Factors Change Demand?
What happens when:
1) Price of complement rises - demand decreases
2) Income falls, and the good is inferior - demand increases
3) Population grow - demand increases
4) Price of good increases - movement up the curve (decrease in quantity demanded)
5) Future income expected to decrease, the good is normal - demand decreases
6) Price of good expected to increase in the future - demand increases
Supply Schedule and Supply Curves
Quantity supplied is the amount producers are willing to offer for sale during a specific
period of time
Factors that influence quantity supplied are:
The good’s price
The price of inputs
○ Technology
Expectations about the future
The number of firms in the industry
The weather
Distinguish supply schedule from supply curve
Supply schedule, like demand schedule, is a table presenting amount of supplies
offered at different prices
Supply curve is the graphical representation of supply schedule
Figure 1. Supply schedule and curve.
Change in quantity supplied refers to movement along the curve
Change in supply refers to shift in the entire supply function
How do the Changes in Different Factors Affect Supply?

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
ECON 101 - Lecture #7 - Demand and Supply How do Different Factors Change Demand? ● What happens when: 1) Price of complement rises - demand decreases 2) Income falls, and the good is inferior - demand increases 3) Population grow - demand increases 4) Price of good increases - movement up the curve (decrease in quantity demanded) 5) Future income expected to decrease, the good is normal - demand decreases 6) Price of good expected to increase in the future - demand increases Supply Schedule and Supply Curves ● Quantity supplied is the amount producers are willing to offer for sale during a specific period of time ● Factors that influence quantity supplied are: ○ The good’s price ○ The price of inputs ○ Technology ○ Expectations about the future ○ The number of firms in the industry ○ The weather ● Distinguish supply schedule from supply curve ○ Supply schedule, like demand schedule, is a table presenting amount of supplies offered at different prices ○ Supply curve is the graphical representation of supply schedule Figure 1. Supply schedule and curve. ● Change in quantity supplied refers to movement along the curve ● Change in supply refers to shift in the entire supply function How do the Changes in Different Factors Affect Supply? ● What happens to supply if there are: 1) Lower interest rates - supply increases (business owners can borrow more money to produce) 2) Higher wages for workers producing good - supply decreases (input price is higher) a) But one could also argue that higher income leads to more productive workers and supply will increase 3) Price of the good increases - no shift in supply, but the quantity supplied will decrease 4) Sunny weather - supply may shift left or right depending on the good 5) Increase in number of firms producing the good - supply will increase 6) Price of
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit