Winter 2015
Department
Economics
Course Code
ECON 101
Professor
Marina Adshade
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
ECON 101 - Lecture #15 - Welfare Effects of Quantity Taxes
Introduction
In this lecture, we will examine how quantity taxes affect
Welfare of consumers and producers
Total gains from trade
Total gains of trade before tax = CS (consumers surplus) + PS (producer surplus)
Total gains of trade after tax = CS + PS +GR (government revenue)
To calculate total gains after trade, government revenue needs to be considered
Government Revenue
GR = quantity sold after tax multiplied by tax
Represented by Figure 1
Figure 1. The graph representing how government revenue is presented in a graphical sense.
Now we know that after tax is implemented, government revenue increases
Is that the only thing that changed?
How a Tax impacts Total Gains
Examine Figure 2, and analyze Table 1
Figure 2. The graph dividing the demand and supply function into sections.
Table 1. The table comparing consumer surplus, producer surplus, tax revenues, and total
surplus before and after tax.
Without Tax With Tax Change
Consumer Surplus A+B+C A -B-C
Producer Surplus D+E+F F -D-E
Tax Revenue 0 B+D +B+D
Total Surplus A+B+C+D+E+F A+B+D+F -C-E
From Table 1, one can see that after tax is implemented total gains decreased by C and
E
This regions is referred to as the deadweight loss
Deadweight Loss
Deadweight loss appears whenever the free market is intervened (with tax, tariffs,
monopoly, etc.)
It is a sign that the market is not at its most efficient state
It represents the gains from trade that would be occurred if tax was not implemented
Examining figure 1, after the price buyer pays increased from P* to Pb, some
buyers quit the market because it exceeds their marginal willingness to pay (their
gains from trade is represented by area C)
After the price sellers receive decreased from P* to Ps, some producers quite the
market because it is lower than their marginal cost (their gains from trade is
represented by area E)
Obvious, we want to minimize deadweight loss as much as possible
How do we achieve that?

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
ECON 101 - Lecture #15 - Welfare Effects of Quantity Taxes Introduction ● In this lecture, we will examine how quantity taxes affect ○ Welfare of consumers and producers ○ Total gains from trade ● Total gains of trade before tax = CS (consumers surplus) + PS (producer surplus) ● Total gains of trade after tax = CS + PS +GR (government revenue) ● To calculate total gains after trade, government revenue needs to be considered Government Revenue ● GR = quantity sold after tax multiplied by tax ● Represented by Figure 1 Figure 1. The graph representing how government revenue is presented in a graphical sense. ● Now we know that after tax is implemented, government revenue increases ○ Is that the only thing that changed? How a Tax impacts Total Gains ● Examine Figure 2, and analyze Table 1 Figure 2. The graph dividing the demand and supply function into sections. Table 1. The table comparing consumer surplus, producer surplus, tax revenues, and total surplus before and after tax. Without Tax With Tax Change Consumer Surplus A+B+C A -B-C Producer Surplus D+E+F F -D-E Tax Revenue 0 B+D +B+D Total Surplus A+B+C+D+E+F A+B+D+F -C-E ● From Table 1, one can see that after tax is implemented total gains decreased by C and E ● This regions is referred to as the deadweight loss Deadweight Loss ● Deadweight loss appears whenever the free market is intervened (with tax, tariffs, monopoly, etc.) ● It is a sign that the market is not at its most efficient state ● It represents the gains from trade that would be occurred if tax was not implemented ○ Examining figure 1, after the price buyer pays increased from P* to Pb, some buyers quit the market because it exceeds their marginal willingness to pay (their gains from trade is represented by area C) ○ After the price sellers receive decreased from P* to Ps, some producers quite the market because it is lower than their marginal cost (their gains from trade is represented by area E) ● Obvious, we want to minimize deadweight loss as much as possible ○ How do we achieve that? ○ The answer lies in elasticity (as presented in Figure 3) Figure 3. Four graphs presented how deadweight losses change with different elasticities of demand and supply. ● Thereby, ALl other conditions being equal, tax should be levied on goods and services that are supplied and/or demanded inelastically to minimize deadweight loss ○ However, minimizing deadweight loss obvious is not the only concern ○ Ex. the demand for insulin is very inelastic, but that does not mean we should levy more tax on insulin Question 1 ● Government needs to raise some revenue. There are currently three option to consider, including taxing coffee beans, people, or properties. Order the three options from largest to smallest deadweight loss that will occur if a tax is levied. ○ Compare the elasticities of three things ○ Coffee beans is more elastic than properties which is more elastic than people ○ Thereby, the property order should be people, properties, and coffee beans ● Taxing people was actually a policy introduced by UK under Margaret Thatcher’s government ○ She knows a little about economics, and she understand the be
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit