English
Course
ENGL 100
Professor
Leslie Arnovick
Semester
Summer

Description
May 21, 2013 Thesis Statements  Defines the specific topic  Makes a strong point  *must relate to actual essay* Thesis Statement Myths  Needs to be only one sentence  Needs to be the last sentence of the introduction paragraph  Needs to be in a “list” format Run On Sentences  A sentence that keeps going and going and going  Usually leaves a reader breathless o If read out loud Type of Run on Sentences  Fused sentences  Comma splices o Joining two complete sentences by a comma Ex. I studied English in University, I am an English teacher.  Problem: comma splice  To fix: o put a period  “I studied English in University. I am an English teacher.” o Use a semi colon  “I studied English in University; I am an English teacher” o Use a conjunction “,and”  “I studied English in University, and I am an English teacher” o Use a subordinate clause “because”  “I am an English teacher because I studied English in University.” Semi-Colons “ ; ”  Consists of a period on top and a comma at the bottom o Period  to stop o Comma  to make connections  to keep going 
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit