ENGL 110 (78)
Lecture 10

ENGL 110 Lecture 10: In the Cage - Telegraphist

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of British Columbia
ENGL 110
Mary Chapman

Vocab of telegraphy (p119-20) - Sacred pause - Keeping its finger on the pulse - Rhythm of the larger life - Intense publicity - Wonderful nerves…sudden flickers of antipathy and sympathy, red gleams…fitful awakings and followings - Sounding this allusion - Dilating on - Flashes, quick revivals Mrs. Jordan foil for the girl - Both are “in and out of” people’s lies (p120) - First time the girl is outside of her job in a grocery store - “You’ve no imagination, my dear” (p120) first time speech is quoted directly in the novella o Interrupting, and challenging what the girl believes about herself - Mrs. Jordan’s incorrect; the girl does have imagination - James wonders if imagination is dangerous? It lets girl escape her dreary life but also sets up unrealistic expectations about her future - Major misunderstanding the girl has: o She thinks that Mrs. Jordan is aiming to marry one of the wealthy, single bachelors Narrator’s tone - - is he mocking telegraphist for reading trashy novels and imagining the society folks she encounters as players in a romance - or is she an excellent perceiver and able to “write” a story about them Euphemism: “indirect word or expression substitute for word considered too harsh or blunt” - Mrs. Jordan: “I DO flowers, you know” “I dare say it’s some of your people that I do!” (
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 110

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.