ENGL 110 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Horror Fiction, Creative Writing

41 views2 pages
23 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Since I was young, I liked reading. I would mostly read fiction that was in Korean. I don’t know
when exactly I started liking reading books. Maybe it was after my mom sent me to a writing
academy. The students there had to read at least one book a week in order to have discussions
with each other and to write papers. Like I said in the in-class assignment 2, I was known as a
good writer in the academy. Teachers used to take my writings and present them as good
examples in front of many students. I also won several awards in writing competitions at school.
This fact got me very proud of myself and the sense of achievement there gave me the
motivation to keep reading and writing. Or, thinking deep about it now, maybe I kept reading and
writing because my mom seemed happy when I showed her the results. Maybe I was proud
THAT my mom was proud of me.
Anyways, after all those years in Korea, my family decided to immigrate to Canada. It was a
sudden decision.
Two weeks later after we came, I started going to school. On the second week of school, my
English class got an in-class essay-writing assignment. And the worst news was that we have to
be in pairs and read each others essay while giving feedbacks on them. As soon as the teacher
told us that, I was sure everyone had noticed my feeling. Miserable; It was right on my face. I did
not want to share my embarrassing paper with other students and let them laugh, at least in their
minds, at me. About 30-40 minutes of class time given, I barely finished writing two paragraphs
while other people were nearly finishing the 4th or 5th paragraph. When it was time to switch
papers with a partner, I tried really hard to find a person that looked really nice and encouraging,
and asked her to be my partner. I wasn’t even able to focus on reading the partners writing
because I was too worried about mine being judged. When I got back my essay, I saw many
“errors” that my partner pointed out with a bloody red pen, and my face also became red with
embarrassment. This was the beginning of my hatred towards peer review sessions. Whenever I
had to write any papers in English class, I was scared. Most of my writings would only receive
50 to 70 percent of the full mark and English class became the worst class to me.
One day, the teacher asked us to do a creative writing. She assigned us to write a short horror
fiction. Getting this homework assigned, I was already frustrated. Ugh… another paper?
But it turned out it was not as bad as I thought. Creative writing means I don’t have to be in a
frame and be as creative as I want. Saying to myself I can do it, I slowly arranged my thoughts.
Yes it took time, but I managed to finish it in the way I wanted it to be and I received 92% on
that assignment. It was the first writing that I got an A grade on. After receiving the mark, I felt
as if I had grown up. Ever since I came to Canada, I felt like I became a little baby again because
of the lack of confidence in my English. But now, I got myself back. People will no longer laugh
at my writing. This very moment gave me motivation to write again, not viewing writing as a
punishment, but as a tool for gaining self-satisfaction.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

I would mostly read fiction that was in korean. I don"t know when exactly i started liking reading books. Maybe it was after my mom sent me to a writing academy. The students there had to read at least one book a week in order to have discussions with each other and to write papers. Like i said in the in-class assignment 2, i was known as a good writer in the academy. Teachers used to take my writings and present them as good examples in front of many students. I also won several awards in writing competitions at school. This fact got me very proud of myself and the sense of achievement there gave me the motivation to keep reading and writing. Or, thinking deep about it now, maybe i kept reading and writing because my mom seemed happy when i showed her the results. Anyways, after all those years in korea, my family decided to immigrate to canada.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers