History_103_Lecture Jan 22nd

5 Pages

Department
History
Course Code
HIST 103
Professor
All

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
History 103 Lecture – 22  January nd 01/22/2014 Topics: The Truman Doctrine and “Containment” in Europe: i. Marshall Plan ii. NATO Hot War in Asia: Korea, 1950­53 Stalin proclaimed that War was inevitable as long as capitalism continued to exist.  Core of Truman doctrine to contain the spread of communism territorially by the dispersment by US  economic and military assistance.  Marshall Plan and the creation of a defensive alliance known as “NATO” Popular support for communists in France and Italy had been growing rapidly since the end of the war  to the extent that the communist party had become as important player in global politics.  Communists held cabinet posts through 1947 and well beyond that, not uncommon to see the mayors of  towns and cities as communists. Reasons for communism Political establishment in the countries had been tainted due to their fascist ways. Combination of economic dislocation on one hand and fear that that communists would take advantage  of it on the other hand,  The US had a strong interest in restoring Western Europe’s status as a major trading partner.  Geopolitical objectives coinciding with US economic interests as well. IN March 1947, various considerations came together by George Marshall in a speech given at Harvard  university. Seasoned political observer and diplomat and experienced military figure.  In 1947, he had just returned from a failed diplomatic mission in China to get rid of communism?  In theory, the Marshall Plan was open to all of Europe including Eastern Europe and the Soviet union.  However, communist states were only eligible if they agreed to open up their economies to private  foregin investment.  So the Marshall Plan approved 17 billion dollars of investment to Europe to Britain, France and Italy  mostly.  The money was given on the condition that it be spent in the USA and also to a lesser extent, in  Canada. For manufactured good, equipment’s and agricultural products. Domestic/ political angle to this  plan as well as it represented a huge govt/ subsidy to the business sector.  The USSR made their copy­cat version of this known as the COMECON.  Division of labour had the effect of breeding investment. Romania the “vegetable garden” of Eastern  Europe.  Some countries now had imp. Industrial niches etc.  Involved the creation of military alliances and US took the lead in the late 1940s of having a series of  regional defense alliances, the most imp. Of which was NATO set up in 1949. It had 12 original member  states,  USA, Canada, Britain, France, Italy, Portugal, Holland, Belgium, Luxemburg, Norway, Denmark, Iceland Later, Turkey was also added.  From it’s
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit