History
Course
HIST 220
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Winter

Description
HIST 220 – Oct 28, 2013 *Intro+Outline due Monday, Nov 18 * th - don’t need a draft in week 13 (last day of lecture) - paper due Dec, 18 2013 How to Know My Item - use the 5 senses - try to figure out where it comes from, what it’s made of - purpose and what is its importance/significance in my life What Constitutes as Knowledge of a Natural World? - what does it mean to know something about something Taxonomy - really close examination of a thing/ group of people - attempting to place data into categories based on physical properties - since the 17 century, biologists have divided up animal/plant species into groups ex. Kingdom, class, order, family, genus, species - “System Naturae” developed by Carl Linnaeus (1735) - how did the urge to classify people emerge? Cabinets of Curiosities - spread after the 1500s - would collect items of antiquity/curiosity and display it in a room - early cabinets contained 3 types of items: artworks, natural specimens, ethnographical artifacts) - strange and unusual items
More Less

Related notes for HIST 220

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit